It's Always Been You

This story has been commissioned by Netflix's The Kissing Booth contest with Wattpad. The Kissing Booth is a movie coming to Netflix based on a story originally published on Wattpad by reekles ! You can participate in this contest and write your own 500 word story about high school love, tag it with #TKBMovieContest, and post the link in the comment section of the contest story. The winner will get a signed copy of The Kissing Booth by Beth Reekles, a shout out from the Teen Fiction Profile, and a Netflix Swag Bag! You can get started here. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

***

Don't get me wrong, I love my sister, but just once, I wanted someone to notice me for me, not as Hannah's fraternal twin sister.

She's the one with the 1000 megawatt smile and laugh that could defrost even the coldest of hearts. She's the one people have always just gravitated towards, leaving me in her shadow, but I've never really minded.

Until now.

What's different now? Two words:

Warren Clements.

He's sweet, funny, and he always comes up to talk to me if he sees me in the hall or cafeteria, even if I'm not with Hannah.

I'm not used to people noticing me, and if they do, it's only to use me to get closer to Hannah; like last year when Chris Wells only asked me out to get information about Hannah, then asked her to his prom.

After that, I've been resigned to the fact that people will always chose her over me, but that was before I met Warren.

We messaged each other all the time, and even talked on the phone occasionally.

But as always, no one chooses me over Hannah.

As we walk to our adjacent lockers, Warren was standing there, beside a locker that was decorated, the word 'PROM' plastered on it and a bouquet of flowers in his hand.

My heart beat out of my chest, was he asking me to prom?

But then we get closer, and my heart splits in two.

It was Hannah's locker decorated, not the one beside hers.

Blinking back tears, I turn to leave. This is Chris Wells all over again.

Warren calls out my name, stopping me with a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry," he says as I turn to face him, "I shouldn't have done a whole thing and embarrassed you like that."

"Did you even like me?" I try to hold back tears. "Even a little? Was that all necessary just to get to Hannah?"

He blinks, confused. "What? I wasn't trying to get to Hannah?"

He's really going to deny it?

"You literally just asked her to prom!" I wrap my arms around my body to keep myself from shattering.

All the colour drains from his face as he starts stuttering. "But... your locker... isn't it locker 225?"

"I'm locker 224."

He smiles, his eyes no longer troubled. How could he be smiling at me right now?

"Ally, I wasn't asking Hannah to prom. I thought your locker was 225. I'm asking you to prom."

I step back from him as my eyebrows draw together.

"Me?"

Warren laughs, "Yes, you." He brushes my hair behind my ear, a tenderness in his touch and eyes.

"It's always been you, Ally."

My face feels like it's going to split in two from how hard I'm smiling.

When he leans in, I meet him halfway and kiss him, right there in the hallway, butterflies exploding in my heart because I know he means it.

He chose me, for me, and I couldn't be happier.