fifty-one

Michael and Evan climbed out of the tree house and went inside to Evan's room.

"I'm bored." Evan huffed and plopped down on his bed.

"You should paint something." Michael sat next to him.

"What?"

"I don't know. What do you want to paint?"

"Can I paint you?"

"You wanna paint me?"

"Yeah."

"Oh well sure I guess."

Evan jumped up and grabbed a blank canvas, sitting it on his easel. He turned it to face Michael. "Okay, but you have to sit super still."

"Got it."

Evan started painting while Michael sat still, but every time Evan looked away Michael would make a face at him.

He stuck his tongue out and Evan saw him before he made a straight face again.

"Hey!"

"What?" Michael asked innocently.

"You're making faces." Evan crossed his arms.

"Me? I would never do such a thing."

"I'm gonna paint a mustache on you if you don't stop."

"Please do that, because I think my chances of growing actual facial hair are slim to none. I'm gonna look even cooler than I do right now."

Evan rolled his eyes but couldn't help laughing. Michael smiled and agreed to (finally) sit still.

Evan worked for about fifteen minutes until someone knocked on his front door. "Huh? It's too early for my mom to be home..." He peeked out the window and froze.  "Michael!"

"Who is it?" Michael jumped up and looked out the window. A boy wearing a black hoodie walked up to his porch.

"It's one of Jared's friends. It has to be. Th-they're gonna-"

"I'll get the door and tell them they've got the wrong house or something. It's okay Evan."

"No don't!"

"Evan it's fine."

"Okay w-well then I'm coming with."

"No you're gonna wait up here."

"No."

"Evan."

"I don't want to." He crossed his arms and tried to stand his grown but Michael knew he was already in full panic mode.

Michael walked Evan over to his bed and sat him down. "I'll be right back. Promise."

"Okay."

Evan reluctantly gave in and waited. He waited for what felt like forever. His hands got progressively shakier so he grabbed his pillow, clutching it tightly, trying to calm himself down.

Just as he was getting up to go check on Michael he heard it. The gunshot.

Evan's heart felt like it stopped.