25. feels like falling

Soooo, shit goes down in this chapter. It's around 5500+ words. I could write so much more but I decided to save it for the next chapter. 

There are only 10 chapters left. Buckle up, it's finna be a wild ride.

 Buckle up, it's finna be a wild ride

"When I'm with you does it feel like falling?"

***

"Happy birthday, cookie crumbs." my mother's voice echoed from the door. 

My eyes fluttered open to find my whole family at the edge of my bed. Momma held a plate of freshly cooked pancakes in front of my nose, candles from our nearest convince store numbered "18" sat messily on top. Pop had a card in hand, trying his best not to look like Momma forced him to come and surprise me and Sarai held a purple gift bag with a bright smile on her face.

I smiled, rolling over onto my side so I could face them. I haven't heard the name "cookie crumbs" in years. In middle school, people like Quincy would make fun of my freckles 'cause it was somethin' they've never seen before. When I came home crying, Momma told me that I gotta embrace what makes me different. She said my freckles reminded her of cookie crumbs, her favorite dessert. 

When high school came along the freckles came in handy since according to Reese, they make me more attractive. Girls love them for some reason and Amour really likes them, so that's a plus.

"Are you gonna blow out these candles or what?" Momma asked impatiently. 

I chuckled, closing my eyes and blowing out the flame in front of me. 

"What'd you wish for?" Sarai questioned.

"Love." I winked.

"You better slow it down, you just turned eighteen," Momma told. 

"Who says he can't find love young?" Pop chimes in, sending me a wink. "Don't think I haven't seen you cheesin' extra hard lately, Isaiah," he says, playfully rubbing my head.

"Watch the waves!"

Pop lets out a deep chuckle, shaking his head. "What waves?" he asks. "You better take this card before I keep it. Talkin' bout watch the waves.

The four of us laugh as I take the card from his hands, the front of it reading "Happy Birthday" with a basketball hoop under it. It opens to reveal a hundred dollar bill and a small note.