What Can It Be?

~~

Zeynep left the company more disappointed than ever. Emir totally changed over the fact that Kemal might be involved in this slander against him. He barely exchanged a word with Zeynep, which was the reason she left. She tried to reason with him but in vain. It was like talking to a stone wall.
As soon as she got into a taxi, she called Kemal.
"Come on brother, pick it up!" She sighed impatiently.
"Zeynep?"
"Ah, brother? I need to see you now, where are you?"
"I'm with Zehir, at his place. What happened, Zeynep? Are you okay? Did that man do anything to you?"
"No, no... I am coming there, wait for me."
"Zeyn-"
Zeynep had already hang up, on her way to him.

"Brother!" Zeynep got inside in a hurry.
"My beauty, what happened?!" Kemal rushed to hug her at once, seeing her worried look.
"Emir, brother... What have you done? Why do you provoke him? He will kill you, brother!" She cried, gripping his arm.
"What are you saying, sister Zeynep?!" Zehir got close to them, full of worry.
"Brother I-" She burst into crying.
"No, no, no.. Zeynep, look at me. Explain to me... Come on, let's sit." Kemal guide her to a nearby couch.
"Tell me now.." He wiped her tears away with his thumbs.
"Hak-, Hakan told me, that Emir is involved in illegal gun trafficking and that he's abusing money.. That your man who is in the company knows it, he has proof. Why didn't you tell me, huh?"
"What? Our-..." Kemal turned to look at Zehir, furrowing his eyes.
"I have no clue, Kemal brother." Zehir shook his head categorically. "We haven't contacted our insider in months... We did our research and found out Kozcuoğlu was clear so we left it at that..." He trailed, explaining it to Zeynep.
"But how-, Hakan told me that you know it too. That there is proof and he can imprison Emir for many years."
"We didn't find anything like that, he was clear." Kemal insisted, looking deep in thought. "I haven't even talked to Hakan ever since he left, a year ago."
"What?" Zeynep stood up, pacing back and forth. She couldn't understand anything. "Then what is he saying? I don't understand a thing!"
"Calm down." Kemal went by her side, trying to ease her. "Zehir, call that man. We need explanations."
"As you order, boss." Zehir saluted Kemal in a military way and ran into the other room.
"Brother... Talk to Emir before it is late. If he even finds that you are involved-"
"I am not involved because I have no idea of it... How did Hakan find out anyway? We were together when we found Emir was clear and decided to stop watching him from the inside." Kemal pressed his palm against his mouth. His mind was running to a thousand directions, trying to figure what is going on.
"Why were you watching him in the first place?" Zeynep asked curiously. "Were you suspicious of anything?"
"No..." Kemal shrugged his shoulders. "But he's Emir, he can never be trusted. I was worried about you... But he was clear, we checked thoroughly."
"Then what is he saying!?" Zeynep breathed out heavily, running her hands through her hair.
"We'll find out, my sister... Calm down." Kemal went close, taking her in his arms again. "You know that if there was one person who wouldn't hesitate to give Emir to the police, it is me." He kissed the side of her hair softly, caressing it.
"Kemal brother!" Zehir came back into the room. "Our guy is gone."
"What do you mean gone?!" Kemal's eyes shot up.
"Gone, disappeared, I don't know. His number is out of use."
"God damn it... We have to check at the Kozcuoğlu Holding... Discreetly, you can handle it." Kemal ordered Zehir who left immediately.
"But Emir-" Zeynep began, her eyes lost.
"Don't worry, go home to your children. We'll figure out everything." He comforted her, rubbing her arm. "Emir won't do anything yet, I know him... He's thinking of the right way to hit me."
"Brother, be careful.. I am begging you." Zeynep's hands were on his chest.
"Go, come on." He smiled slightly at her.
"I will talk to him with the first chance I get, brother." She held onto him tightly.
"Don't interfere, stay put." Kemal patted her hands, letting her go.

In the meantime Zehir managed to enter the holding later at night. Emir has left a while ago. He was trying to gather information for the missing employee just like Kemal. He was desperate to prove that Kemal had his hands in it. It would make it so easy to avenge him for trying to destroy his life once again if he proved it. Mehmet and many of his men were working non stop.
When Emir arrived home, Zeynep was waiting for him by the door.
"You came..." She smiled, her eyes lightening up as she ran to crawl into his arms.
Emir blinked his eyes, trying to not show anything. His hand barely touched her back, asking her silently to back off.
"Are you not going to talk to me?" She asked him in a low voice. It was a piercing pain through her heart to see him like this again.
"I'll sleep in my room." He finally stated, not bothering to exchange more words with her.
"What does that mean?" She ran behind him, gripping his arm. "You have no right to leave our bed, Emir!"
"But you have the right to accuse me every time you hear something stupid from someone irrelevant?!" Emir snapped back at her angrily.
"I said I am sorry! I lost it! What would you do in my position?!" Zeynep put her hands up in despair.
"I would fucking ask you Zeynep! Not accuse you and not hurt you!" He raised his eyebrows emphatically.
"Like you don't know yourself and like you don't know me!" She laughed, unable to believe this whole situation.
"Goodnight." Emir turned his back on her, going up the stairs.
"Emir!" She followed him with quick steps. "Don't you dare leave our room! We will fix this!" She shut their door soundly as soon as they got inside.
"Don't make a sound, you'll wake my kids." Emir warned her, taking off his shirt.
"They're OUR kids. And for God's sake, will you listen to me? Something fishy is going on with this thing... Kemal has no idea of it!"
"Sure... And if we put a halo around his head he will be named Saint Kemal!" Emir laughed sarcastically, looking away.
"Emir! We talked... He told me that he was monitoring your moves yes, but once he found you were clear he stopped everything. He did it to protect me."
"HE, worked with that slow poke policeman behind my back, to ruin my life ONCE AGAIN!"
"HE, hasn't talked with Hakan ever since he left!" Zeynep suddenly shouted, to make him listen to her. "He told me that the two of them found out you were clear and decided to drop everything, altogether..."
Emir shook his head, not in the mood to pay attention.
"He swore to me you are clear, Emir!" She went closer, taking his face in her hands. "He has no idea of what Hakan is saying. He hasn't talked with that guy in months... Believe me, my love."
Emir growled, moving away from her. He stood with his back on her, thinking about her words. Why would Kemal miss a chance of dissing him to her if he was actually involved?
"What if he's lying to you?" He whispered, knowing the answer already.
"My brother never lies, you know it... He even asked Zehir to check on that guy in your company and they couldn't find him anywhere, his phone was out of use or something..." She sat down on the bed, looking down.
"My men are looking for him too." Emir turned to her.
"Emir... What if-, what if this Hakan's doing?" Zeynep looked back into his eyes.
"How? On his own? He can't, Zeynep." He laughed mockingly.
"With that guy who is missing... He may have arranged it, I don't know."
Emir's eyes shot up at her at once. He hasn't thought of that. He turned his head to the side, thinking for a few seconds.
"Well... Huh..." He stuttered, taking his phone out of his pocket. "Mehmet, go get the policeman now." He simply ordered him, hanging up afterwards.
"Did you order him to get Hakan?" Zeynep stood up, trying to put the pieces together.
"Uhuh..." Emir was thoughtful, pacing back and forth.
Zeynep took this chance and went to the side table to pour him a glass of whiskey.
"Here..." She handed it to him softly.
His eyes met hers for moments as he took it and turned around. He swallowed it all at once.
"Slow down..." She advised him, hesitantly placing her palm on his shoulder blade.
"I haven't thought that the policeman might have the guts to fight me... I sent him away after all..." He explained, looking outside the window.
"Maybe that's why he's all over me..." Zeynep thought out loud.
"What?!" Emir turned to face her in seconds. "Did he touch you?"
"No, no... But he was acting weird when we talked... Not like he usually does. Changed." She looked away, thinking of their last meeting.
Placing a strand of hair behind her ear, Emir eyed her attentively.
"He can't touch you, he knows this... If he dared to raise his eyes on you-"
"Okay." Zeynep brought her palm against his lips to stop him. She then kissed him a few times gently, her hands on his cheeks. "I really am sorry for today... I overreacted. I should have talked to you instead of accusing you, I know." She nodded her head, having her eyes closed. "I got carried away from my emotions... I didn't want to think, to accept that you could betray our family like this..."
Emir was watching her silently, gazing all over her face. Her face expressions were always fascinating to him. He could understand what she was feeling with just one look.
"It's okay... I am merciful." He joked, smirking knowingly. "No one will tear apart our family, I promise you." He got serious again, his thumb rubbing her lower lip.
Zeynep went closer, plunging her lips onto his slowly, with no rush. It was like she wanted to seize the moment, enjoy it. She never wanted those moments to end.
If only she could stop the time.

~~

Enjoy this chapter lovelies ❤️