Chapter Twenty

Knowing there were eyes on her, Kaya steeled her expression – even as it felt like the walls were steadily pressing in against her.

To her right was Brocard, to her far left was Noah and Felix, and directly opposite her was the damned Anarchist leader, Medea Thorne – and Aythen Rivirius. She hadn't thought the name in so long it felt foreign to her now.

Regardless of the four years that had matured him, Aythen hadn't changed. He was like a calm ocean, his emotions and thoughts like smooth, easy ripples across his expression that came and went without any disturbance. He had always been a gentle soul.

So why in the seven hells was he personally guarding the Anarchist leader?

Then Kaya felt a sharp pain at her temple, and she just barely stopped herself from openly grimacing. She grit her teeth, recognising the penetrating feeling as someone trying to read her mind. It wasn't nearly as explosive as when the Comavren's Mentalist tried it, but that only meant the Mentalist trying now was more careful, more refined in reading minds.

The only Mentalist in the room that Kaya knew of now... was the Anarchist leader. She looked to Lady Thorne, but the woman wasn't looking at her. That didn't mean Kaya couldn't feel how focused Lady Thorne was on her, even if she feigned otherwise.

Lecreux's head turned toward Lady Thorne, and whether it was because of his sudden attention or mere coincidence Kaya felt the pressure disappear, the intrusive touch receding. She realised she had been holding her breath and carefully exhaled, her jaw unlocking.

Lecreux looked back to the Comavren just as she began to speak.

It was courtesy and formality first; each ruler being introduced to the room by the Comavren regardless of whether the rulers had already met, or just knew of each other. Kaya knew for certain that Lecreux had never personally met any of the other rulers, but they without a doubt knew all about him. Or at least what he wanted them to know about him.

The guards to each ruler were also introduced. First, the Comavren then introduced her Second-in-Command, a female Shield Knight whose name was Requa and she had kind, earth-brown eyes that shone when the Comavren called her name. It was pride, Kaya realised, which shone so brightly; pride at serving the Comavren.

Kaya couldn't say the same for her and Lecreux.

Then it was the guard to the representative of Andine who was simply named Yu, and Kaya couldn't see any physical weapon on him. Considering the size of his fists and the muscles that bulged from his limbs, Kaya supposed he didn't need one.

Aythen was introduced next by Lady Medea Thorne, and he bent his head in a small, polite bow to the rest of the room – but his eyes lingered on Kaya as he straightened, and she felt his gaze like the warmth of a summer sun.

Felix was introduced next, flashing a charming smile, and last the personal guard of the Ender King was named. Argus, who looked physically strong and wielded an impressive sword at his hip, but bore no maliciousness or ill-feelings. He seemed like an honourable guard, but that wasn't surprising considering he came from Ender.

Because Lecreux was the only ruler with two guards at his side, both Kaya and Brocard were introduced. Lecreux kept it swift, and neither Kaya nor Brocard gave any bow or acknowledging nod in response to the introductions. She could sense the unease from several of the people in the room, namely Requa, Lady Liretta and Argus, and again Kaya felt that twisted sense of satisfaction at the thought that people were wary of her, maybe even feared her.

Kaya pushed those thoughts aside when the discussions began between the rulers. She had, naturally, never attended the Independence Accord Renewals because Klave had never been privy to them; only the countries who were in direct alliance or at least in trade agreements with the Empire were ever invited to the annual event, which involved lengthy negotiations of new trade agreements or treaty terms as well as several feasts to promote good will between them all.