Dead Chaos - Chapter 5

CHAPTER FIVE

I awoke before the sun the next day, worried about Kyle. Riley was sleeping in the twin bed across the room. Pulling a robe over my pajamas, I wandered out of the room. Peeking in the boys’ room, I saw Kyle’s bed empty and Alexi and Justin still asleep in the bunk beds. The three bedrooms upstairs were occupied by my dad, Paulina and Viktor and Melanie. The house was quiet. Stopping in the bathroom, I brushed my teeth then continued my search.

Kyle was lying on the couch in the family room and, by the expression on his face, happy to see me. “Hey, babe. Sleep good?”

Before answering him, I crouched down and touched my lips to his. When I was done, he looked even happier. “Would’ve liked to sleep longer, but I’m glad my guy is back to normal.”

“Sit with me on the deck?” he asked. I gave him a deeper kiss in answer.

As he hobbled his way out the door, I wanted to assist him, but without the effects of drugs I knew he was back to his old self and wanted to do it on his own. He was a boy when it all began and turned into a man in the harshest of circumstances. Kyle’s parents died in the first days, trying to scavenge for supplies while we were all still deluded enough to think we could hide in our suburban homes. Being an only child, he had only us when they were gone.

We settled in matching Adirondack chairs on our deck overlooking the dark mountain. A waning moon offered little light, but I saw him wincing while trying to get comfortable. We sat here often, enjoying the serenity of our secluded cabin and the woods surrounding it.

Several mountain roads led to our cabin and we habitually blocked off the long driveway leading up here, making it look like nature had caused the blockage. Still, if anyone dead or alive made it through the trees, they’d find the immediate area barricaded. We’d used anything we could, including an old school bus, barbed wire and chain link fence to make a perimeter around the cabin, stables and outbuildings. A zombie would have to be pretty wily to get through without making a sound. The bells we’d attached to string and hung around the barricade would give it away.

Whoever built this place hadn’t meant it to be a yuppie retreat. The stables were perfect because we were able to keep animals. A couples horses, cows, chickens and pigs resided there. In our garden we grew anything that could thrive in the Colorado climate. That was Paulina’s domain, along with the kitchen, but we all chipped in to help. We did alright here and never disclosing the location of our home to people we encountered at the settlements or on the road.

“Tomorrow night is the party,” Kyle reminded me.

“Yeah, the brat is going to be fifteen. Maybe she’ll finally start to grow up,” I grumbled half-heartedly. Things were so much easier when Riley idolized me. That stopped years ago and compliance disappeared right with it.

“You love her,” Kyle commented, squeezing my hand.

“Yeah,” I reluctantly agreed. “It’s my curse.” Laughing, I added, “Well, my other curse.”

“It’s saved us enough times to be considered a blessing.”

“I suppose.”

We sat there in companionable silence, watching the rising sun illuminate the world with color again. I was lost in thought when Kyle reached over and took my left hand. He slid the ring on my finger in a smooth move. “I wanted to get down on one knee for this, but I’m afraid I won’t be able to get back up,” he said wryly.

“Kyle?” I asked, unsure.

“Marry me, Anya?” he asked softly.

I looked from the ring to him, warmth spreading in my chest and tears pooling in my eyes. In a choked whisper, I gave him my answer, “Okay.” Then, bringing his face down to mine, I reinforced that answer with a kiss.