Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Original Edition - Chapter 1: Return to the Hamptons

Get your hands on a copy of Breaking the Friendzone  today! https://w

Get your hands on a copy of Breaking the Friendzone today! https://w.tt/3b9l6ua

LACEY

"Lace!  Dinner!"

The boy playing beside me frowns and looks towards the voice that is about to pull me away.  "We didn't finish our castle..."

I glance back at my mom who is standing on the back porch of the beach house.  She stands with one hand on her hip, the other hovering above her big blue eyes to keep the sun out. Her beautiful long brown hair blows with the breeze.

"Can you play again after dinner?"

He drops his shovel and pail, turning towards his own house.  "Maybe," he mumbles with a frown.  "If my mom comes home, then no."

I'm guessing that's a no.

"She never comes home though." He shrugs, offering a little more hope for our play date to continue.

This is the first friend I have made since we got to the beach house this summer.  I'm not ready to let him out of my sight. 

As we stand, we both have sand cascading from our clothes.  The boy shakes his curly blonde hair and giggles as even more sand falls out. 

"Are you here all summer too?" I ask in my most hopeful voice.  Please say yes.  I want a friend this summer, and today was the best. 

A big smile comes to his lips, and he nods his head.  "We live here all the time!  I'll come out and play tomorrow.  What's your name, Pretty Girl?"

"Lacey!  What's yours?"

He smirks and begins to run back to his house, his bucket and shovel in hand.  "Maybe I'll tell you tomorrow!  Bye, Lacey!"

I watch him run to his porch where a man is standing and waiting for the boy. 

"Lacey!"

"I'm coming!"  I give my dress one more shake before I run back to my mom.  She takes my hand in hers. I can smell the coconut scent of her perfume, bringing me comfort.

"Who was that boy?" She glances back. "Is that Lucas Drake?"

"My boyfriend." I shrug.

"Your...your what?" My mom giggles with wide eyes as she bends down and swipes more sand from my legs before we walk inside.

"He's a boy..." I argue, feeling embarrassed.  "And he's my friend—I think.  So, he's my boyfriend. Right?  He didn't tell me his name. He's weird, but I like him.  We played princess and prince, and he made me a castle!"

"Lacey," she laughs with a bright smile.  "All boys are weird.  Don't call him your boyfriend though. Daddy will have a heart attack.  You're six, and he doesn't want you to have one of those for at least another fifteen years. More like twenty."