What Really Happened in Berlin

My first instinct is to get to Al. I know that she understood who Loki meant when he said he wanted to see his daughter. It was obvious.

But the thing is, I have no idea how she's going to react. I mean, she has always known that her mother ran away from her father, she explained that much in the note she left with her when she abandoned her in an ally near the orphanage. She also explained that when she gave birth to her and realized she'd have to do everything on her own, she realized she couldn't do it.

They gave the note to Al when she was about ten. I knew her already at this point, and I know that it took her a long time to process properly, not even speaking of getting over it. I think she still resents the idea of her mother, she thinks it was cowardly of her to just abandon a baby instead of trying to get help in raising her. But she has told me that she doesn't really know how to feel about her father. She's said that she's not sure whether she should believe her mothers implication of him being a bad person, or if there's more to it.

I think she sometimes wishes that her mother just decided to abandon him too, and that he'd still love her and be proud of her if they ever found each other. Fate is quite cruel sometimes.

Wheeling back into the surveillance room I see Al sitting on a chair a blank look on her face. The rest of the Avengers are all looking wearily at ether me or Al. She doesn't react to my entrance so I slowly approach her.

"Al? You okay honey?"

Her gaze snaps to mine and I can see the tears shining in her eyes.

Oh that green little goblin fucking trickster is going to regret being boor as soon as I'm done with him.

"I thought you were the one with daddy issues, not me" she chokes through the tears. The response is so unexpected that it makes me laugh shortly in surprise. It causes the tears that i didn't realize were gathering to spill over though, and soon we're both crying.

"This is so fucked up" I laugh (I think I hear cap mutter language? I'm not sure) through my tears and Al gives me a wobbly smile. "Yeah" she whispers and I can't stop myself from hugging her. It's a bit awkward and also somewhat painful for me but I don't care. When we part I notice that the room is empty except for us two.

"Come on" I whisper to Al. "Lets talk in my room".

~~*~~

We don't leave my room until the next day.

We talked about everything that has happened, how were going to deal with it, and what we should do about Hypnos. The answer to that question comes sooner than we could have thought.

We make our way to the kitchen, both walking (thank god I have super healing, or I'd probably still be bedridden) hand in hand. When we get there it's almost empty except for Natasha and Clint. There both sipping coffee, discussing something whilst examining some file between them. When we enter they both look up, seemingly surprised to see us. But they don't say anything more than "good morning" before were both seated at the table with them with our breakfast.

After a minute of eating in silence Natasha breaks the silence. "I'm sorry but I have to ask, when were you in Berlin, and why?"

The question is so surprising that it takes a minute for both of us to compose ourselves enough to answer. Al and I share quick glance, both debating whether we should lie or not. As if knowing what we're thinking Natasha snaps "Don't lie to me."

Well that settles it I suppose. (Natasha can be so scary sometimes, bloody Russian spy)

"We were sent on a mission to Berlin to steal (SHIELD called it "acquiring") some really fancy machine that could alter bio-energy. It was being stored in a company research center there. I'm still not really sure why SHIELD wanted it, they didn't specify back then. And I was young and stupid and it was my first really big mission so I didn't want to ruin my chances by asking. Al and I weren't part of the attack team, just there to make sure that the machine stayed stable. But before the mission was supposed to go down, Al and I happened to accidentally share a rooftop pool with a few of the security people that were guarding the machine." Al snort at this part and I can't help the grin that tugs at the corners of my mouth. Natasha and Clint share a knowing look.

"So after we gracefully avoid answering any questions about our job (Al snorts again) we eventually excused ourselves and left. The next-" "Hey you left out the best part!" Al interrupts looking offended. "What happened was that one of the guard, I think his name was James (I groan at this point. She's just saying that to press my buttons) was getting a bit too familiar with me, so Amy decided to do something about it. She punched him! She punched him so hard in the nose that he blacked out! And then the rest of the tried to get to her so I had to do something about that, and in the end we had to ditch the really nice hot tub filled with unconscious security guards". The agents are snickering at us, but at the same time they seem to be affirming knowledge they already had. Weird.

"I also remember you accidentally snapping your bikini top" I mutter in to mu coffee. Al gasps outraged and slaps my arm.

"Anyway" I continue. "The next day when the mission went down one of the guards recognized me and started a big racket. In the end it took so long to sort everything out that their backup arrived. We managed to get away with the machine, but I got captured" I voice has gotten quiet and Al takes my hand sympathetically. Sometimes I can't believe she's real. Here she is, going through a really big crisis, but she still manages to comfort me about something that happened two years ago.

"They didn't manage to hold me for long, just a few days before SHIELD, or rather, before Al found me. But.. they tortured me. I was beat up so bad I was dying. They'd gotten desperate when they knew they couldn't get away, so they tried to kill me. And when they found me I was so far gone they had to put me in a coma on the flight back so I wouldn't die before reaching headquarters. When we arrived they saw a perfect opportunity to test their healing serum, and we all know how that went. Granted I had signed the papers agreeing to procedures still not certified if my life was in danger. So it was basically my fault but still" I trail of, left a bit drained after telling the story. But it was some time ago and the memories aren't as painful anymore.

I start thinking about all that's happened since. And mostly about my job with Jemma and Fitz. I haven't thought about them a lot while being at Stark Tower and I feel guilty. I'll call Jemma today and check up on their progress. And hopefully we can chat a bit.

I look up at the spies sitting in front of me and ask them a question that has been burning my mind for a while. "So what did you do in Berlin?"

They both look uncomfortable for a second, and I can't tell if it's because of my story or something else. But before anybody can say anything Tony's voice comes from the speakers.

"Guys, get to the Quinjet, somethings happening downtown"

Natasha and Clint both immediately get up and start walking away, to bet ready I suppose. "Sorry kid, we'll have to tell you another time!" Clint calls over his shoulder as he starts walking away. I get up too, intending to go up to my room and get ready too, but Al stops me.

"Oh no you don't! Your not going anywhere that beat up!" she sound stern but also a bit scared. I suppose talking about old injuries right before didn't ease her mind. Out of the corner of my eye I see the spies pausing.  Taking a deep breath I answer her.

"I'm sorry honey but I have to go. People might be in danger. And before you say anything, I'm not going to fight. I swear! But I can't sit still and watch when I can help" I try to convince her even though it pains me to put her through this.

Al bites her lip and looks down. She doesn't say anything for a moment, but the she looks up past me at Natasha and Clint, still hanging at the corridor. "You'll take care of her?" she asks, her face betraying no emotion. I feel guilty.

Natasha nods, "Yes. We won't let her do anything stupid" I want to protest, but I don't. Al nods a again and looks down. She squeezes my hand and whispers "Come back safe". Leaning forward I kiss the top her head and whisper "I will" before turning around and running towards the elevator, guilt heavy in my chest.

~~*~~

Two chapters in a day? It's like old times!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and have a good day!

~Love, Mama Magic