Chapter 22: Feelings

Rey

I examined myself one last time before heading downstairs to wait for Kylo.
My outfit was just what I needed it to be. It was casual, yet elegant.
It was perfect.
I wore a white silk top with a lace neckline that I tucked into black skinny jeans, a dark gray cardigan with three-quarter sleeves and a small dark brown bag, hanging from my right shoulder to my left waist. I covered my face with a bit more makeup than usual, using a more visible shade of mascara and applying a subtle color to my lips. My brown hair slightly fell over my shoulders with two strands tied together in the back.
I smiled at myself with my heart pounding in my chest. I was excited, but also very nervous. My nerves began to tingle uncomfortably as I began to ponder what could go wrong.
What if he's late? What if he forgot? Or what if he changed his mind about me and I did all of this for nothing?
What if Snoke found out?
My stomach lurched at the thought of Snoke and I felt almost as if I had to double over due to my anxiety and my fear.
Maybe I should cancel. Tell him that I'm not feeling well, I thought pacing around in my room.
But I've been looking forward to today all week. Should I really let my anxiety get the best of me?
Yet before I could come to a conclusion my attention was caught by two voices coming from downstairs.
Two muffled, yet very familiar voices.
I concentrated hard on trying to figure out who they belonged to. One of them was definitely my mother. I became an expert in recognizing her voice no matter how loud a place could be or how far away she was, which was why it wasn't so hard to figure out that she was one of the voices talking to the other. But who was my mother talking to? No one ever came over after 7 p.m. except Finn, but Finn had a date with Poe and I had a date with...
"Shit!" I cursed as I slipped into my dark brown ankle boots while stumbling out of my room.
Why did he come inside? Didn't we say that we were going to keep our relationship a secret? What if my mom hates him? What if she won't allow me to see him or go out with him?
I stopped in my tracks as soon as I saw him. All my thoughts and worries from before had just vanished.
He was as gorgeous as ever.
His dark hair seemed to be tamed for tonight, framing his beautiful long face in a way that made him look like a storybook prince. Instead of a black sweater or hoodie Kylo wore a black dress shirt with black pants and same colored dress shoes.
I smiled at the thought that he made some effort in dressing nicely for tonight.
My mother stood in front of him, a faint smile painted her lips when she slowly pulled away her outstretched hand from his.
"Would you like anything to drink while waiting for Rey?" she asked him, turning around, yet stopping once she saw me standing in the middle of the staircase. Her grin widened and Kylo's gaze followed my mother's to me. Our eyes met sending shivers through my body at the intense glow in his eyes while a small smile tugged at the corner of his mouth.
I made my way down the few steps I had left to get to Kylo, my heart pounding harder with each step I took.
"Hi," I spoke in merely a whisper.
"Hey," he answered, color rising to his cheeks. "You look beautiful."
I felt my own cheeks glow and I lowered my gaze to the floor, hoping that that would somehow keep my heart from almost jumping out of my chest.
"Thank you. You look very handsome," I tried to compliment as well, not knowing if I was doing it right.
It seemed so because he chuckled in response while softly wrapping his hand around mine.
"Shall we?"
I nodded before turning to my mom, "I'll be back at ten, ok?"
She smiled, looking at Kylo and then to me. "Eleven is also fine."
I mouthed a 'thank you' as I shut the front door behind us.
"So, where are we going?" I asked him as we made our way to his parked car, our fingers still intertwined.
In a swift move, Kylo pulled my body to his. His free hand resting on my cheek while he stared softly, yet with a twist of awe into my eyes. He carefully inched his lips closer to my lips, brushing the tip of his mouth against mine while closing his eyes before our lips tasted each other again. I felt myself relax against him, embracing the feeling of belonging, embracing the familiar hot feeling I always got whenever we touched.
Embracing him.
"You'll see," he uttered tearing his lips from mine before opening the door to the passenger's seat for me to hop in.