SIXTY SIX

REAL LIFE

MONIKA STARED AT THE MAN SAT ACROSS FROM HER, SHE STILL HADN'T QUITE REALISED HE WAS REAL. Had she missed him that much that she'd started to hallucinate him? Or maybe she had suddenly became a light weight and the little drink had gone to her head? If so, so had the waitress as she bustled over to pour an expensive looking bottle of wine into their glasses, and blush ferociously when he thanked her with that irresistible smile of his. Monika couldn't blame the woman but she still felt a pang of jealousy.

What was actually going on?

"Your favourite" He stated with a sheepish but endearing smile, his fingers wrapping around the neck of the glass. She mirrored his action before they clanked the glasses together, and sipped on the red liquid. She felt slightly hollow and speechless as if she wasn't completely there; like she had transported to a parallel universe where they had never had the dumb argument. But she hadn't, otherwise he wouldn't have looked to awkward and tense. Monika could tell just by looking at the consistent of the drink that he was right, that it was her favourite, but the delightful taste solidified it as it hit her lips.

She gingerly placed the glass back down and cleared her throat unsure what to say. She began to fiddle with the ends of her dress again as he spoke, his tone wary.

"You look beautiful, Mon"

"Oh" She coughed and brought her closed fist to her mouth, clearing her throat again "Thanks"

What was she supposed to say next? Monika couldn't lie, she had never experienced this awkward situation before. She hoped she never would have to again. 

"You look beautiful" She spluttered back with a small nod, she couldn't stop herself and mentally facepalmed as she thought about how stupid and cringey that statement was. She almost even said her name at the end, repeating what he had said.

"Thanks" He chuckled, his smile widening and losing it's wariness.

"I wonder where Sergo is"

"We should order?"

They both spoke at the same time, and the other's words left them awkwardly averting eyes and pincing their faces up. Taron was the next to speak,

"Um I don't think he's coming"

Monika glancing back over to him, furrowing her brows in confusion for half a second before she understood what was going on.

"Oh" She mumbled. Sergo wasn't coming at all, he never was. They had set this all up, he wasn't going to take her out for a meal to get over Taron; instead he had made her go out for the meal with the exact boy she was trying to avoid. All of a sudden a surge of anger flooded into her body and she quickly got to her feet, the fast movement knocking the table and Taron had to grab the glasses to stop from them toppling over, a few of the rose petals fluttering angelically to the ground. His face was a mix of shock and worry as he carefully stared up at the girl, wondering what was going to happen next. He didn't move as if he was watching a gazelle from afar, scared that any sudden, wrong movement would scare it away forever.

"I can't believe this" She snarled, shaking her head to stop him seeing the tears that were burning in her glassy eyes. Before he could stand or speak, she stormed out of the restruant ignoring all the stares she got as she angrily pushed open the glass door and let it slam behind her.

The cold night hit her and bit at her bare, tanned knees. The temperature cooled her down and her anger began to subside, now her body sagging and shaking with a completely different negative feeling; the tears now watering onto her lower lashes.