-3-

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ .·:·.*═══╗
CHAPTER 3
RIVER OF FORGETFULNESS
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ .·:·.*═══╝

IF THERE WAS ANYTHING Zeus loved, it was power. He found it in the crackling of thunder under his fingertips, the look of awe in the eyes of everyone around him as they watched his every step and the whispers of eternity he promised any girl he saw, knowing every last one of them was false.

As he stepped foot in Olympus, he got high on the rush of power again as he saw his subjects bow.

He was king.

'Where is Hera?' he asked lazily.

Multiple gods rushed forward to give him an answer, everyone eager to get in favor with the king of the gods.

'Out right now, Zeus,' some god said, her eyes big as she watched him.

'Who's here then?' he asked, more to himself this time.

'Just Hephaistos.'

The sweet voice made him turn his head, only to see the goddess of beauty walk towards him, elegance radiating from each step she took. His eyes followed her every curve under the white gown she was wearing, lust filling him for a second.

'Get yourself together, Zeus,' Aphrodite said, snapping him out of his trance,' just because Hera isn't here, that doesn't mean you can eye up anything that moves.'

'Well,' Zeus said, smirking as he moved closer, electricity buzzing in the air around them with every word he spoke,' if you're ever interested -'

'The thought alone fills me with disgust,' she cooed.

'If you change your mind, let me know,' he winked, undeterred by her comment,' we gods are quite fickle.'

'You mean you can't keep it in your pants,' she said, raising an eyebrow.

'Where is Ares, Aphrodite?' Zeus said, aware of the weak spot he was grabbing hold of,' couldn't keep his attention for long again, now could you?'

Aphrodite's eyes turned into ice as she watched him, all the warmth vanishing out of the room as she stared at him.

'I just wanted to inform you everyone was out,' she said, her voice chilling the air around them,' I'm off now. Can't bear to be in the same room as you.'

As she walked away out of the door, her heels clicking on the silver steps, leaving behind that intoxicating scent of jasmine, he called after her.

'If you're ever up to being in the same bed,' he said,' you know where to find me.'

She didn't cast a glance back as she disappeared among the clouds.

⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅

CELESTE WAS HOLDING HER dress up as she hurried after Dionysus, eager to get as far away from the god of the skies as possible. When she had looked at Dionysus, fear clearly visible in her eyes at the mention of Zeus' name, she didn't have to ask anything for him to pull her along, down to his realm.

The forest they were in was filled with rich greens and grapes at every corner, the scent of wine thick in the air. Maenads walked around in a haze of alcohol and euforia, looking at them with curiosity through dazed eyes as they sipped from the river of wine that ran through the forest.

It wasn't the first time Celeste had been here and she knew the path towards Dionysus' his house like the back of her hand. It was in this enchanted place that Dionysus had first proclaimed his love for her after all.

'A never ending supply of alcohol,' Celeste commented,' I always thought it suited you.'

'It's like my own version of the Lethe,' he smiled,' drinking from this one only gives you temporary forgetfulness though. It's a much better option in my eyes.'

'Don't say that to Hades,' Celeste said, already smiling before she noticed it.

Dionysus always had had that effect of her. In him she found a certain sense of comfort, happiness and everything she had searched for all her life and finally, for the first time in ages, she felt like she could breathe.

'I've missed you.'

The words escaped her lips before she could think and brought Dionysus to a sudden halt.

'Tell me,' he said, his voice sounding broken,' why did you leave?'

'It was complicated.'

'You could have taken me with you,' he said, turning around to face her,' I would have gone anywhere with you, you know that.'

'And that's exactly why I couldn't let you do it,' Celeste whispered, touching his chest with a hand.

'You know,' Dionysus said, bitterness in his eyes,' Hades actually offered for me to take a sip out of that river of his. To make me forget about you, about us, to finally release me from the insanity that keeps me bound to you.'

'Why didn't you?'

There wasn't any accusation in her voice, just plain curiosity. It made the bitterness vanish out of his eyes as quickly as it came, replaced by his usual warmth instead.

'I would never want to forget you,' he murmured,' even if that would mean heartbreak for the rest of eternity. I am yours and you are mine, we promised each other this, remember?'

She felt the intense need to cry. There was no way she was deserving of this love of his, especially not after what had happened. For a moment, she lost her air again as she remembered the moment, lightning breaking the skies, his lips on hers, her tears -

'Are you alright?' Dionysus said, worry visible on his face as he caressed her face between his hands.

'Yeah,' she said,' I'm fine.'

'No you're not,' Dionysus said, pressing a gentle kiss on her forehead,' but you're going to be. Let's go.'

As he moved some vines away, the sight of his house became clearer. The wooden structure didn't seem to have fallen prey to time, seeming just as new as it had ages ago, and a marble path quite similair to the one leading towards Olympus' silver steps led them to Dionysus' mansion.

Once they were inside, Celeste's shoulders immediately relaxed. The place had once been a second home to her and the scent alone brought her comfort.

When they were seated at one of Dionysus' black couches, the fabric so soft she almost fell asleep, Dionysus let go of her wrist, instead gently turning her head towards his direction.

'Tell me,' he said,' what happened? Why did you disappear?'

Celeste breathed in.

Time for the truth.