Chapter Twelve

Marigoldfall was checking in on Nightshade everyday. Rockstar - unfortunately - recovered from his wounds and was back to being the leader. However, Mintlick did not survive. Finchwing and Blizzardpelt were heartbroken. It was their mother after all. Marigoldfall did whatever she could to comfort Finchwing, but everytime she tried to offer comforting, he would push it away. She didn't know what she did wrong; maybe it was best to live him alone until he felt better.

      Meanwhile, training with Adderpaw was probably the best thing. Adderpaw was a quick learner and very skillful. He must of got that from his mother. Adderpaw mastered the hunting crouch in about two days. It was impressive. Marigoldfall was teaching him now some of the basic fighting moves. He was handling those very well. The only downside was that he wasn't as patient and understanding. He got very impatient with Marigoldfall and some other the other apprentices. Marigoldfall had a funny feeling that he wasn't understanding either.

      Right now, Marigoldfall and Adderpaw had returned to camp. Adderpaw ran away from Marigoldfall to go talk with his sister. She watched him go before she went over to the medicine cat den. The medicine cat den only had Finchwing and Nightshade. Finchwing was doing his one thing while Nightshade was sleep. Marigoldfall took this chance to walk over to Finchwing.

      "Marigoldfall..." Finchwing meowed, quietly once she sat down beside him.

       "Feeling any better?" Marigoldfall asked. Finchwing didn't answer her. Marigoldfall waited patiently for Finchwing to reply, but he said nothing. Marigoldfall gave him a gentle nudge. He flinched at her touch. He looked over at her. His yellow eyes looked into her amber eyes. She saw so much emotion in his eyes. Most of it was sadness. She saw a little bit of anger and hatred. But for what she reason, she did not know.

      "I wish to be alone right now." Finchwing's voice didn't go higher than a whisper. Marigoldfall sighed before she left the medicine cat den. She would come back later if she had time. Marigoldfall walked out to the center of camp where she saw Seedflower and Hawkfall. She also saw Jayfrost not too far away. She didn't feel like talking to any of them (especially Jayfrost) so she went to the warrior den. Maybe she would find comfort there.

      On her way to the Warrior's den, she was stopped by Poppyflight. Marigoldfall screamed internally. Poppyflight started talking about how they needed someone for the patrol she was going to send and nobody else wanted to do it. So, she decided that Marigoldfall would have to be the one who has to go on the patrol. Marigoldfall was going to protest, but Poppyflight didn't want to hear any of it. She made Marigoldfall go anyway.

       Marigoldfall came back by sunset. The clan was quiet. She thought now would be a good time to go see Finchwing. She quickly departed from everyone else so she could race over to the medicine cat den. This time when she came in, Nightshade was awake and Finchwing was nowhere to be found. Nightshade looked happy to see Marigoldfall. She looked better than what she after the battle.

      "How is Adderpaw doing?" She asked, gesturing for Marigoldfall to sit down. Marigoldfall hesitated before she sat down. She gave Nightshade a polite smile. Adderpaw was doing absolutely stunning. He would become a warrior in no time.

       "He mastered the hunting crouch and he is learning a few basic fight-"

      "No I mean in your clan!" Nightshade told her in a hushed voice.

      "He is doing better than what I expected." Marigoldfall replied simply. Nightshade smiled.

       "Of course he is doing better than what you expected! He's my son!" Marigoldfall knew that was very true. Adderpaw could of also got some of this from his father that he never meant. She wouldn't exactly know. At least, not until she meant the father. Nightshade went on to tell Marigoldfall that it was in her great importance that she got rid of Sandstem. Marigoldfall totally forgot about Sandstem; She was too worked up with Adderpaw to remember.

       "I will, but first. Uhm, do you know where Finchwing is?" Marigoldfall didn't want to sound too suspicious. Nightshade had told her that he had went out to get some more herbs. Marigoldfall told her a thanks and said she would be right back before she got up and ran out of camp. She didn't know where some of herbs were. She hoped that Finchwing wouldn't be that hard to find.

        Marigoldfall looked all over Thunderclan's territory before she finally found Finchwing. He didn't have any herbs in her jaws and he wasn't moving. He was just sitting in the middle of nowhere. Marigoldfall walked up from behind him. Finchwing suddenly stood up and faced her. At this moment, she could of sworn she saw Sootstorm right beside Finchwing. Sootstorm was glaring at her. Marigoldfall blinked and he was gone.

       "Marigoldfall listen." Finchwing took a breath," I don't think we should be mates anymore."

      "What, why?" Marigoldfall was surprised by the sudden words. She wasn't sure if they together that long. He was delighted when she asked him to be his mate and now he seemed like dumping her was a good idea. She felt her heart slowly snapping into twenty pieces.

      "It's not right. I'm a medicine cat and your a warrior. It's forbidden." Finchwing explained. Marigoldfall knew that wasn't the real reason. There was something more to it, but she knew Finchwing wouldn't tell her. Right now, she didn't care if for the real reason. She just wanted to be with him. She wanted to bare his kits. She wanted to be with him until the end. Why was this not happening?

         "That's why secrets exist! Don't you understand that I love you! Our ancestors have forbidden love so why can't we!" Marigoldfall meowed, feeling tears pouring out of her eyes like a waterfall. She loved him since the beginning and now he was rejecting her because of Starclan's code. Starclan's commands that they can't be mates anymore. He was rejecting her for many more reasons too! It wasn't right!

          Without listening to anything else Finchwing had to say, she ran off. Her tears were multiplying by each passing heartbeat. She found herself dropping down to the ground with uncontrollable sobs. He loved her and She loved him. Why couldn't it have been a happy ending? Everyone else had a happy ending. Everyone else had kits. So, why did this have to happen to her. Why did everything bad happen to her?

          "Marigoldfall?" She heard a tom's voice, but she couldn't tell who's it was. She just ignored them and kept with her sobbing. This cat ended up beside her. She recognized the scent quickly. This scent belonged to Jayfrost. What did he want? She guessed he was hear to make matters worse. She wanted to wipe away her tears and tell him to go away, but this time she wouldn't be able to do it.

       Jayfrost wrapped his tail around Marigoldfall. She slowly calmed down. It took about 5 minutes before she officially stopped crying. She looked over at Jayfrost who looked worried. She didn't know why he cared. He pretty hated her all his life. She would of never of thought he would have a change of heart. Though, the reason events....

         "Why were you crying?" He asked softly. It would help her if she told someone. She doubted Jayfrost would use anything against her. She couldn't tell him the exact reason so she told him something that Finchwing was being everything but rejecting her love. Not wanting to be friends, sounded close to it.

       "He's no good for you. You don't deserve him at all. If he rejects your friendship like that then you should forget about him. You should find someone else who cares about you. Someone else that deserves all your love. I care about you a lot. You deserve me. I'll be anything you want me to be because I love you." Jayfrost confessed to her. It made her feel a lot better. Someone who actually cared about her.

      Without thinking anything through she replied," I love you too."

------------------------------

Yep, still too lazy to change Adderpaw into a female. I don't understand why I didn't look back in previous chapters.