The Fisher, the Captain, and the Monster - (S1.E11 - Season Finale)

Metal scrapping against stone echoed through the chamber. With an unnatural boom, the sword tip hit bottom and the room shook.

"No!" screamed Zel, reaching out. Captain Adara grabbed his arm and tugged him back to her side.

With the bottom half firmly in the pedestal and the top half angled to one side, King Endrick stepped back with both arms spread wide and laughed.

The sword trembled. Black shadows bubbled out. A whispering voice reached Zel's ears and the image of a dark figure with flames for hair flashed in his mind.

Zel spun to Captain Adara, whose face had gone pale white. "You have to stop him!" He shook away from her grip and jabbed his finger back to the sword. "Look at it! The evil inside is coming out! Do something!"

Adara bit her lip and shook her head. "I serve throne of Hyrule."

"The sword has made the king mad!" He eyed the other soldiers nearby. "Someone, please! Do something!"

A rumble filled the room. Rays of darkness burst from the cracked diamond and cast sickly shadows along the walls. Black ooze gurgled out. A mumble of fear spread through the people.

With a final, desperate glance at Adara, Zel rushed for the sword, but before he made it halfway, two soldiers grabbed him and pulled him to the ground. He cast his eyes back to Adara. "We'll all die! Please!"

"I serve the throne of Hyrule!" she shouted above the growing rumble, trembling as sweat rolled down her cheeks.

Zel searched for the king and found him cowering on the throne, shielding his face. The Sanctum quaked. The bells high above tolled deep booming notes.

With an ear-piercing crack, the pedestal split into two pieces, which skittered across the room to either side. The sword snapped upright and straight, standing on its own and hovering a few feet above the ground. It vibrated so fast its edges blurred.

Suddenly, the guards holding Zel grunted and fell to the ground. Zel gazed up to Adara standing over him, panic on her face and sword in hand, the soldiers crumpled at her feet. Her red hair flew wild in the wind howling through the room.

"Hurry!" she screamed.

Zel scrambled upright and ran for the sword. He planted his feet before it, hesitating for only a moment and wondering if grabbing it would do any good. Then he reached out, took the hilt and pulled.

The sword fell immediately into his hands, quiet and asleep. As soon as it did, the shaking ceased, and the black rays disappeared. For a moment all stood still and silent as everyone in the room caught their breath.

"Kill him!" shouted King Endrick, jumping to his feet. He pointed at them, his eyes flashing. "Kill them both!"

Adara grabbed his arm and yanked him toward the entryway. Most of the soldiers hesitated and Adara easily struck down the few that gave chase. Before anyone overcame their initial shock, Zel and Adara were out of the Sanctum and dashing toward the promenade.

The two rows of soldiers lining the promenade stood in disorder, gazing toward the Sanctum. As Adara and Zel rushed toward them, they glanced at each other confused. But at the sight of the pursuing soldiers, they formed a tight rank barring the path. Adara halted and pushed Zel behind her.

"Stand down!" she shouted. "That's an order!" The soldiers straightened and began to step aside.

"Stop her!" floated the king's voice from behind, where pursuing soldiers now blocked the way. With uncertain eye-cuts to one another, the soldiers in front reformed the line.