The Office Prank [A]

Two Days Later

I take a breath and stretch a bit, "Back to work. It'll be a good day."

"Good Morning, Adelaide!" Doctor Reeves greets as we pass in the corridor. I smile.

"Good Morning, Doctor Reeves!"

"You're in early."

"Yes, I wanted to start working on the research project and make sure that the paperwork hasn't piled up too much." We both chuckle and she sighs.

"Well, glad to have you back. Have a good day, dearie!"

"Likewise, Doctor Reeves!" We go our separate ways and I smile a little bit more. I always like talking to her. Great way to start the day.

I round the corner into the alcove where my office is and bump into someone, "Sorry!" I look up and see that it's Sherlock with a new bouquet of spring flowers for my vase. His cheeks turn pink and I giggle, "Hello, Sherlock. I didn't think I'd be seeing you until later, Darling." I reach up and kiss his cheek.

"I-I wanted to make sure that you would have fresh flowers for your desk. I did not anticipate that you would be here early today, Love," He explains and we share a quick kiss, "You still look quite tired as well."

I shrug, "It's just jetlag. A few more days and I'll be fine."

"I suppose so," We get into my office and he beelines for the vase, "I will handle it."

"Alright, Sherlock," I respond with a smile, watching him hurry to fill up the vessel with water and then deposit the blooms into it. I walk over and check on the fish tank as well as my file drop box before heading back to my desk. I sit down and power on my computer. While it boots I look back at my boyfriend, who is focused on trimming any dead leaves off and arranging the flowers perfectly in the vase, "This is the first time you've ordered Freesia."

He freezes, "Is the fragrance too strong for you, Love?" I shake my head and smile, starting to log into my computer.

"No, Darling, I think they look and smell lov-!!"

POP! BANG!

A sharp crack of party poppers fills the office and my desktop screen flashes. Completely taken off guard and freaked out, I shriek and fly back in my chair, "GAH!!"

My foot catches on the desk and I end up tipping my chair over towards the wall as it crashes to the floor. Unable to brace myself, I can't avoid cracking my head on the wall before I hit the floor, tangled in the chair. What the..?

Before I can fully process what just happened to me I hear the chair get yanked away and set upright. Then I register Sherlock picking me up and setting me in his lap, "A-Ads you alright, Adelaide!?"

I hiss when he barely touches the point of impact. My head is throbbing, I notice quite quickly, and before I can reply Sherlock speaks again, "That might have given you a concussion or even a haemorrhage! John, I need to call John-!" He fumbles, holding me in one arm while trying to reach his mobile. Finally I come out of my shock and respond.

"No, I'm fine! It's not a concussion!" I block him from contacting John, "I'm fine, Sherlock, no need to call him over it."

"No, your skull just smacked the wall and that could have caused internal injury," He sets his mobile down and gingerly cups my face, turning it slightly in both directions, "No other marks that I can see..."

"Sherlock, really. I'll be fine. I was just surprised," I notice the look of sheer panic and fear shining in his eyes and frown, "Are you  alright, Sherlock?"

"I... I thought that... When I heard the bang and then you screamed and fell... I thought that someone had rigged a mechanism to stun and k-kill you..."

It scared him.

"I'm fine, Honey, I promise," I soothe before kissing the tip of his nose. He exhales a long sigh and his form relaxes. I look around the room and laugh despite myself, "Luckily I'm not the one who'll have to clean all this confetti up..."

"Confetti?" He turns to get a better look and I hum, slowly separating from his arms and standing. He jumps to his feet as well.

"Yeah. That's what the noises were. Party poppers. It was just an office prank, Darling."

"One that made you get hurt." Sherlock remarked, obviously unimpressed. I look at my computer screen and it's flashing a bright "You've been pranked!".

"I should've seen this coming."

"Who pulled it?"

"What?"

"The person who pulled this stunt. It would've had to be someone with technical skills," I know who it was. This prank is pulled about once a month by the same person. But I know that if I tell Sherlock then he will go after them for endangering my physical health and that's not the confrontation I want to happen, "You know who did it then. Who?"

"Sherlock, I'll talk to them, okay? You don't need to confront them for me. They did not mean for me to hit my head- that was just me being clumsy."

It's clear that Sherlock wants to argue the opposite but eventually he sighs and nods stiffly, "Very well."

"Thank you, Sherlock."

"For what?"

"For coming and checking on me to make sure I was okay."

Sherlock smiles gently, "No need to thank me for that, Love."

Thank you for reading!!