Chapter 6: Thirak II

"Not that any of this matters anymore," Seisyll said, tail lashing behind him, revealing his frustration and anger at the situation. "After all, we're leaving all of this behind for a reason."

I swallowed, eyes focussed on the ground in front of me. Everything felt too big at that moment and I was too small to even speak, but...

I forced my eyes up, daring to look Seisyll in the eye, and I could feel bravery roiling in my stomach, called upon and answering. "Do you think you would be willing to have an extra dragon join you?"

Nkruma smiled at me, pulling both Seeryath and Azrael into her smile. "Any dragon," she said, "would be able to come with us."

"Something to think about at a later date, perhaps," Bur commented. "Let's focus on what is occurring at the moment."

"A smart idea, Bur," Natalia replied. "If you," she continued, directing her green gaze towards us, "are all going to stay, then you will need a dragoon to live and house with. I'm imagining that the dragoons will have a dragon that has a similar power or be able to help their dragon with their own diiv?"

"Of course," Andrea said, "and based on that reasoning, I extend an invitation to Azrael to the Alba dragoon, since we often deal with passive powers."

"I, on behalf of the Stea dragoon, extend an invitation to Seeryath," Natalia said, "since I have telepathy power myself."

Pamphilos met my eyes, "The Alke dragoon would welcome Thirak, if he so wishes. If you do wish so, you will house with one of the families within the Alke dragoon. It will be a group effort to help you, rather than one specific dragon though. But, you can take whatever form you wish to."

I sighed, body shuddering, but I was tired of being human – of having fingers and arms. I was tired of having a weak body that reminded me of Mark, reminded me of every memory we had made together. I was tired enough that I didn't care how I looked. My scars... I couldn't change that they were there right now, no matter how much I hated myself for them. I just... didn't care. I didn't want anyone's pity; I wanted no one's sadness. I was ashamed of my scars, embarrassed by them, but that didn't change the fact that I deserved this.

I met Pamphilos' pink eyes. "Thank you," I said, despite my feelings. My words were quickly echoed by Seeryath and Azrael.

Natalia shuffled her three sets of wings, before speaking, "The night is growing bolder, perhaps it is time to introduce these dragons to their den-mates."

"A sound idea," Nkruma said, "Come, Azrael."

Soon enough, the kinboks were taking off along with Azrael and Seeryath. Pamphilos stayed behind, calmly waiting. Shame rushed through me again, but I refused to show it. "My dragoon lives further away from the other dragoons," Pamphilos explained. "We're one of the safeguards to keep the eggs and hatchlings – along with their families – safe. As such, it means very few places require flying to get to, and those are only areas where dragons go to avoid the nosy younglings. We are nearby luckily." Pamphilos turned and entered a cave opening, and I trailed him.

Our path led us downwards, and after a few moments of walking, the tunnel opened into a massive cavern. Smaller caves dotted the walls and a single bubbling creek ran through the middle. Pamphilos ignored all of this and led me further into the cavern, before stopping at one of the cave openings that could be entered from the ground.

"I'll introduce you to Alexis, since she will be your den-mate," Pamphilos said, "you can meet everyone else in your own time."

"Thanks," I mumbled, just as another dragon appeared, poking her head out of the cave. From just her head, I could tell she was probably close to Pamphilos' size – two to three times my size.