Chapter 3

At the house next door to the Carousel Boutique, a Scottish Terrier with a patch of light azure hair, and light azure eyes named Fancy Pants was walking out the doggy door while carrying a large bone in his mouth. He then went into the backyward, and started to dig a hole in it to reveal more bones buried in it as he sang a song. After he finished singing, he placed his bone in the hole with the other bones as he said "Ah, that's a grand sight." Just then, he heard Rarity's voice that said "Fancy Pants!" He gasped, and sat on his pile of bones. "Oh, Fancy Pants!" Rarity said as she looked around. She then spotted her friend, and ran to the fence. She squeezed her way through it, and ran up to Fancy Pants as she said "Hello, Fancy Pants." Fancy Pants sighed with relief as he said "Oh, oh it's you, Rarity." "Notice anything different?" Rarity asked. "Uh, you've had a bath?" Fancy Pants asked. "No, not that." Rarity said. "You've had your nails clipped?" Fancy Pants asked. Rarity shook her head, and said "Uh-uh. Guess again." "Well, I wouldn't be a-knowing then." Fancy Pants said. Rarity then showed her collar to Fancy Pants who said "Why, Rarity, a beautiful new collar." Rarity nodded, and said "Do you like it?"

"Yes." Fancy Pants said with a smile. "It must be very expensive. Have you shown it to Big Mac yet?" "No." Rarity said. "Oh, we'd best go at once." Fancy Pants said. "You know how sensitive he is about these things." They went into the front door, and went over to the house next door to Fancy Pant's house. They went on the front porch to see a large brown dog with a patch of brilliant orange hair named Big Mac sleeping on the small rug under the front door. As he snored and whimpered in his sleep, Rarity said "He's dreaming." "Yes." Fancy Pants said. "Dreaming of those good bygone days when he, and his grandfather, Pappy Smith were tracking criminals through the swamps of the Everfree Forest." "They were?" Rarity asked as Big Mac started following a caterpillar in his sleep. "Well, that was before-!" Fancy Pants tried to say, but he stopped himself. "Before what?" Rarity asked. "It's time you knew the truth, Rarity." Fancy Pants said. "It shouldn't happen to a dog, but, well, Big Mac lost his sense of smell." Rarity gasped in shock, and said "No!" "Yes." Fancy Pants said as the caterpillar went into a hole in the porch, and Big Mac went past it. "But, we must never let on that we know, Rarity. It would break his poor heart."

Just then, Big Mac woke up, and looked at his friends as he said "Uh, uh! Which way did he go? Which way did he go?" "Go?" Fancy Pants asked. Big Mac nodded, and said "Eeyup! Big fella. About six foot two. No, uh, three. Wore a striped suit. No collar." The caterpillar smiled at the description as he crawled back into the hole. Big Mac then looked at Rarity, and noticed the collar around her neck as he said "Why, Miss Rarity! You have a collar." Rarity nodded, and said "And a license." "My, my. How time does fly." Big Mac said. "Yes. It seems only yesterday when she was cutting her teeth on Shining Armor's slippers, and now, there she is, a full grown lady." Fancy Pants said as Rarity drank some water from a bowl, and looked at her reflection. "Wearing the greatest honor a pony can bestow." Big Mac said. "The badge of faith and respectability." Fancy Pants said. "That's right, Miss Rarity." Big Mac said. "As mah grandpappy, Pappy Smith used to say...don't recollect if Ah've ever mentioned Pappy Smith before." "Yes." Fancy Pants said. "You have, Big Macintosh." "Oh, yeah." Big Mac said. Just then, they heard the sound of Shining Armor whistling, and Rarity said "Oh, it's-it's Shining Armor. Please, excuse me." She then ran off to meet up with her owner who kept whistling.