Extract from Tales from the Juggernaut #2: Parador

Jayce downed what was left in his glass (not for courage, he told himself) and leaned over to Ellie. "Wanna get out of here?"

Ellie grinned into her cup. A quick glance around told her that Tila was nowhere in sight. She nodded and set her cup down. "Where are we going?"

"Let's go for a ride. We can get out of the party for a while. No one will notice. We can take my racer."

Ellie nodded again, her insides churning. "Okay," she said. She didn't know if she was nervous about leaving alone with Jayce or excited for another ride in his racer.

They slipped off their chairs and walked toward the garage. Ellie felt Jayce's fingers shyly brush against the back of her hand but she kept her eyes forward and her hands to herself.

There was still no sign of Malachi, which was beginning to worry her, and she couldn't see Tila anywhere either, although that was more of a relief than a concern. Tila had been even more prickly than usual tonight and she had made it very clear she was not interested in making new friends here on Parador.

But that doesn't mean I shouldn't.

They passed through the garden on their way to the garage. By now the guests had dispersed throughout the impressive grounds surrounding the opulent house and Ellie began to appreciate just how much land there was within the perimeter wall.

Trees and plants surrounded them in a way which suggested careful planning, not wild growth. The path they followed curved through the garden around flowerbeds, under green canopies and even over a small bridge which spanned a stream. The water bubbled and splashed happily over the rocks below them.

"You really own all of this?" she said in awe.

"Technically, no. Everything here is an asset of the corporation, but we get to live here and we can do what we want with the land, within reason of course."

Ellie made a dismissive gesture at the technicality, "But you get to live here."

Jayce nodded and looked at her, "It's good to be surrounded by beautiful things."

Ellie nodded too, still looking around at the garden, then realised that Jayce was still looking at her, and what he really meant. She blushed, grateful for the deepening shadows to hide her smile.

"Is that the garage?" she asked quickly and grateful for the distraction. She started toward a low building near the brick wall.

As soon as her back was turned Jayce kicked a stone off the path in frustration.

"Yeah." He hoped his voice didn't betray his disappointment at the lost moment as he followed her.

Ellie walked quickly to the door she had spotted, forcing Jayce to hurry to keep up with her. She looked back at the way they had come, worked something out in her head, and frowned. "I thought we arrived on the other side of the house."

"We did. That was the guest garage. This is where we keep our private vehicles. Wanna see?"

He touched the door control with one hand while the other optimistically reached out again for Ellie's.

The doors parted to reveal Tila. She stood with her own hand raised, as if she was just about to open the door from the other side.

She looked at them blankly, surprised for just a second to see them standing there. Together.

She looked at Ellie, then she looked at Jayce, then at their hands, then back at Jayce, and frowned.

Tila grabbed Ellie's hand before Jayce could reach it and pulled her into the garage. Jayce followed.

"Hey!" protested Ellie.

Tila ignored her complaint. "We've got a problem."

Ellie snatched back her hand. Tila's paranoia was getting out of control. "What is it now?" she said.

Tila turned back to the door, looked around quickly to see if anyone else was coming, then closed it, locked it, and leaned against it for support. She closed her eyes and muttered something Ellie couldn't hear. She assumed it was another complaint about Jayce.

"Well?" said Ellie. "What's the problem this time."

Tila opened her eyes.

"Malachi's gone."