Chapter 20

Somewhere in the real world of dirt and blood instead of endless code, Avery was aware of her body spasming. She wasn't sure how much longer she could resist the onslaught. Maia had no need for sleep or food or water, and Avery was feeling more ragged by the minute.

<Maia, we still don't know what the invaders want. They might be gone by next week, then we can come and rescue you> She pleaded desperately. All she needed was to eject herself from the ship's system and she would be free. If only Maia would let her move—all she needed was one single moment of weakness, and she could make a break for it.

<I will not wait> was Maia's response. <I cannot allow you to return to the Hub. Empathise with me. Imagine yourself in my position. You would do anything to protect your family>

<I don't have a family, and we both know damn well you don't either. You're not sentient, Maia. You're on your way there, but you've got a long way to go yet>

For a fraction of a second, Maia's attacks ceased. Avery took her chance and slipped away from the corner Maia had forced her into.

<What if I were you? Would I be a person then?> the SESHET's voice followed her as she frantically rooted around for the eject command. She could feel Maia close behind her, sniffing her out. <I could do it. I could infect your brain, make everyone believe I'm you. You know, I think it would be better for everyone that way>

Without warning, Maia sent a lance of code right for her. Avery barely threw up her firewalls in time, but the impact sent her reeling, the world disappearing for a second, her vision becoming glitchy and fractured. In that moment, Maia was on her, scrabbling away at her defences with everything she had.

Avery knew she was abrasive and weird and maybe not entirely human, but she couldn't think of anyone in her life who would want to replace her with a broken, soulless, insane personal assistant programmed before she was even born. Even if people like Jules hated her, surely she was more interesting to hate than a thing like Maia.

<Fuck you> was the only phrase Avery could call to mind, and she hurled it at Maia along with all the strength that remained to her.

Maia's attacks ceased abruptly as she howled in pain, and Avery gathered herself again. <Don't bother> she said as she felt the AI preparing another attack, more feeble this time. <I'm going home. Goodbye>

With those parting words she ejected, leaving Maia in her prison of code once more.

Xxx

She woke up in the dark, alone.

She was slumped in a corner with her jacket cushioning her head, in exactly the same position Erri had left her in, but the door to the little side-room she'd chosen as her entry point into the system was closed. She'd told Erri to leave it open so she didn't get too hot.

She sat up, groaning as she worked out a crick in her neck. Her face was damp, and when she licked her lips they were salty from sweat, tears, or the sea air, maybe all three.

Where the hell was he?

God, she needed a drink.

Avery fumbled with the door handle until it swung open, and cringed away from the light until her visual filters automatically took the edge off. It wasn't even that bright, but her encounter with Maia had left her brain feeling all squidgy.

The main server room was empty, too. No Erri—and no data core, either.

The hairs on the back of her neck prickled. Erri wouldn't take the data core and leave her like that.

But she had heard his voice calling to her. Why hadn't that seemed more important at the time?

Unless it wasn't him who'd taken the core.

Then who had?

She gripped the door of a nearby locker to stay upright and sighed. It looked like if she wanted to find out, she'd have to go outside, back under the skies of Earth.

She was really starting to hate this planet.