CHAPTER FIVE

Freija opened her eyes and groaned as she stretched her tired limbs

Freija opened her eyes and groaned as she stretched her tired limbs. The sun shined through the small space between the thin curtains. A sigh left her lips as her eyes rested on the watch on her nightstand. She removed her covers and fully naked she left her bed. She pulled her fingers through her long hair, untangling the mess from the night as she walked over to the window. She pushed the curtains away and opened the smaller window. She lived in the attic, in a smaller room with a bathroom and kitchen.

She took a deep breath and inhaled the air before reaching for her shirt that hung over a chair. She buttoned a few buttons before placing a cigarett between her lips. She rested her elbows on the window sill as she lit her cigarett. Freijas plump lips closed around the white toxic stick as her eyes followed the slow movements she could find, the smoke from the chimneys. The ocean wasn't far away, the sound of seagulls and the faint smell of saltwater was almost overpowered by the smell of coal. Kattegat wasn't clean, however in comparison to Rogaland it was spotless.

Further away she could spot the main road that attracted the majority of the inhabitants of Kattegat. Cars drove up and down that street, occasional honking audible and horses pulled heavy chariots filled with coal, barrels of alcohol, fabrics and food. Further away, almost out of sight due to the distance, shielded by the forest outside town laid a beautiful and enormous mansion. It was similar to a building she knew all too well. She squinted her eyes as she sucked on her cigarett and wondered if that building had the same amount of hidden passages. She looked down on the dusty window sill, a smoky sigh left her lips when she looked at the card she had placed there the night before as she smoked. She reached for the paper and her eyes roamed the familiar numbers messily written on it. A faint smile covered her lips as the owner of the numer appeared in her head. Suddenly a timid knock filled the peaceful silence and she glanced at the door before making her way over. Butting out the cigarett as she did so on the ashtray on the small kitchen table.

"Morning, Freija!" Mrs. Hemlock said with a smile that made her face get the resemblance of a raisin. Freija liked the old lady that kindly had rented out the attic to her. However the old lady almost moved into the attic the first night she had moved in. Mrs. Hemlock had brewed coffee from fresh beans and gotten some old and dry cookies for them to nibble on as she told Freija stories of the life nearly eighty years ago.

"Good morning, Mrs. Hemlock!" Freija said and smiled as she hid her half naked body behind the doorframe.

"Please call me Fiona, my dear." Mrs. Hemlock said before trying to enter. "I've made some fresh scones and I got some lemoncurd directly from England." She said and Freija smiled at the old woman.

"I—" Freija tried but Mrs. Hemlock only held up the scones in her face and smiled kindly at her. A sigh left Freija's lips as she smiled back at the woman. She got out of the way and Mrs. Hemlock entered the apartment. Mrs. Hemlock soon saw her naked legs and naked body only clad in a messily buttoned shirt.

"It's getting cold my dear, you don't want to catch a cold." Mrs. Hemlock began and she bit the inside of her cheek as she looked at her naked legs. "Which reminds me that I have raw chicken on the counter." She continued and Freija's lips hung open in shock, wanting to laugh at the fact that her thighs made the old lady think about the legs of a chicken. Mrs. Hemlock walked quickly towards the door before leaving Freija in shock.