17

Eric's POV

Being able to see inside Rori's mind feels like an invasion of privacy. I felt fine watching everyone else's, but it's different with her. I don't know if it's because of my feelings for her or what, but I feel uneasy about watching her fears, especially when I can't jump in and help her.

"Here I go," simulation Rori says with a smile. She jogs out of the dining hall after simulation Eric.

He glances over his shoulder and stops walking. She smiles at him but his face remains stone cold.

Way to go, Eric. You're in her fear landscape. I sigh and keep my eyes glued to the screen, not wanting to miss anything.

"Eric," she says, slightly out of breath, "I have something important I need to tell you."

He crosses his arms across his chest, a bored expression on his face. "Out with it, sunshine."

"Not here," she says. "Let's go somewhere private."

He sighs and continues walking. She follows after him.

Instead of going to the roof like I would have done, simulation me takes Rori to my apartment, and doesn't even bother to hold the door open.

He flops on the couch, resting both arms along the back of it. "Okay, we're in private. Now spill."

Rori takes a seat on the edge of the couch and wipes her hands on her jeans. "I'm going to come right out and say it." She takes a deep breath and clears her throat. "I'm in--"

"Can we hurry this along?" simulation Eric says mid-yawn. "I have important company coming by soon."

"Yes, of course." She wipes her hands on her jeans again and closes her eyes. "I'm in love with you, Eric."

Her eyes open and she studies his face. Her gaze drops to her hands. "Eric..."

"I know what you want me to say," he snaps. "But I'm not going to say it, because it would be a lie."

"On the roof," she says, her voice trembling, "you told me you can't get me out of your head."

"After capture the flag, you told me that you have feelings for me. Then we kissed. Did it not mean anything to you?"

"No."

My hands shake, and I want to smash this monitor against the wall. I run a hand through my hair and continue watching the screen.  

"You're lying," she snaps.

"That kiss did not mean anything to me--" he leans in close to her-- "and neither do you."

I want to jump into this simulation and punch myself in the face. I swear if I could I would. This is absolute torture to watch.

"Why are you doing this?" Rori says, her lip quivering.

"Yeah, we shared a kiss," simulation me says. "But that doesn't mean anything. I kiss plenty of women every day. You're nothing special."

A knock on the door snaps their attention away from each other.

"Finally," he smirks.

I want to punch that smirk off his--my--our--face.

He yanks her up by the arm and pulls her to the door. He opens the door to reveal a brunette woman wearing revealing clothing.

"Who's this, babe?" the woman says, her voice high pitched.

"A pathetic initiate who thinks there is something between us," he snaps. He pushes her out the door, making her trip and hit her face on the floor. "Now, leave me alone. I've never liked you, and I never will."