Original Edition: Chapter 43

"How can you say you love her if you didn't do your best to protect her?"

IT WAS ODD. Getting back my memory felt like watching an old movie that I'd watched before, the one that I knew the ending but forgot the plot. I blinked twice as the scenes from the past flashed in my mind.

"Sienna, I can't...I really can't do it," said my sister, Cassandrhea, sobbing so hard that her whole body shook in turmoil.

I watched myself (who didn't look like myself since that person wore Greek traditional clothing instead of jeans and a T-shirt) reached for Cassandrhea's hand.

"It's okay, Cassie, if you don't want to do it, you don't have to."

Cassandrhea's lips trembled. "B-but they will kill me and the gods will be angry. A lot of disasters will happen, they will curse us."

"No, they won't." My sister stared at me, confused. "I'll take your place."

The images went blurred with the mist closing in, and when they finally dispersed once more, I saw myself in the woods, surrounded by nature.

"You came!"

I heard a voice from behind and turned to see my sister holding her growing stomach as she walked toward me. "Of course." I smiled. "How can I miss the rare chance of seeing my little sister?" I closed the gap between us and enveloped her in a hug, careful not to hold her too tight and harm her baby.

"Oh, how I miss you so!" She pulled away and I kept my hands on her arms, holding her steady. "Did they find out? What does Zeus look like? Is he as old as I thought? A grumpy old man, perhaps?"

I shook my head. "I haven't met him."

A small frown formed on my sister's forehead. "What? It has been months since I went away."

"I came to the cave every full moon but he never came. Maybe he finally came to his senses and realized that polygamy is not a good foundation for a successful marriage."

My sister giggled. "You know he didn't technically marry us, right? We're just concubines or perhaps mistress is a slightly polite way to say it."

"Still," I sighed. "It's not right. What if one of his wives decided to curse us? We're not gods and without our other halves, we're not even as strong as we once were. How can we defend ourselves? Did the gods think about that?" I scoffed. "I don't think so!"

"I don't think his wives mind. Hera and Demeter have human concubines too," argued my sister. "Moreover, he doesn't have to be with us physically in order for us to get pregnant. He can simply do what Lord Hades did, magically summon a baby in our wombs without even touching us."

I rolled my eyes. "I don't think someone like Zeus would do it that way. I mean, come on, look how many creatures he'd slept with. If anything, I'd choose to be Hades' mistress and bore a Stavros! At least he shows respect to his wife, Persephone, and that's what a real couple is supposed to be like." After pausing for a second, I continued with my rants, "Hades clearly loves Persephone." I sighed. "If I have a husband, I hope he loves me like Hades loves Persephone."