four

"So why don't sirens like being mistaken for mer-folk?" Newt asked

Trinity was dressed in one of Newt's shirts. Obviously, he didn't expect company or have time to buy female clothing for that special occasion. He didn't exactly have someone in mind. Trinity raised her legs slightly off the floor and stared at her wiggling toes. Sirens didn't have tails like mer-folk. When dried, sirens' fins would simply disappear, but Trinity had never seen the human-looking side of her legs. It was all so new to her.

She looked around Newt's office. It was messy, items clattered around with numerous plants all in different corners and tables. It definitely didn't remind her of home and stressed her a little. Back home, everything was blue or black because of the ocean or green because of the plants.

"Mer-folk are deceiving creatures. They seduce you as if they were a succubus. Then, they - well - wait for it - they eat your flesh and leave nothing but bones. They clean it off so well, that even with magic, you wouldn't be able to find out who it was before they died. I've been fortunate to not see it in person, but my mother says she has."

Newt nodded as he vigorously jotted down notes. He raised his eyes to see Trinity's frazzled and flustered face.

"Are you - are you all right?" Newt asked, then licked his dry lips.

Trinity looked at Newt with surprise. "Oh - um - yes. I'm quite all right. Sorry," she mumbled at the end.

"Oh - no. There's nothing to be sorry about."

"I'm sorry that you have to take care of me now," she added.

Newt closed his notebook. "You never did tell me why you were on the beach. Shouldn't you be with your clan? Am I right? Sirens travel in clans, as opposed to mer-folk who travel in pods?"

Trinity nodded. "You're right about that, but - " she cut herself short, trying to choose the correct words. She didn't know what to say. "I'm here to - uh - this is really hard, Newt. I'm sorry."

"Oh - no, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rude."

Trinity shook her head. "It's not you!" she argued. "It's just - if I tell you, you might - you might not like me," she mumbled.

She was absolutely ashamed. She had never been ashamed of being a siren, but here she was, in front of her soulmate who didn't know much about siren customs.