Chapter 8

Thomas awoke as the alarm clock rang. He was almost thrilled to be up in the wee hours if the morning; his dream was a horrible experience. He quickly forgot the details, but from what he remembered, he kept seeing poor, scared Chuck's face, covered in blood.

The eight of them rose, straightening out the mattresses to make them look like new, and ran out the door back towards the security quarters. As they ran, Thomas ruffled Chuck's hair, like an affection all older brother. Chuck laughed and pushed his hand away, making Thomas smirk. They entered through the doors while Thomas took a turn down another hallway to put the key back on Aris's father's desk, and then sprinted back. He expected his friends to be waiting for him when he got back to the security room.

They were, however there were three visitors with guns with them.

"You!" One of them pointed at Thomas, "stand with the others!"

Thomas raised his hands over his head, slowly making his way towards the area where his friends were standing. He noticed that Teresa now had a bloody lip. The three men pointed their guns at the group, one of them snickering and repeating something like "we gottem, we gottem, money money money" over and over again.

One of them reached into their pocket and began to pull out a cell phone. Thomas knew as soon as the guy called for reinforcements, they were toast. But the man surprised him, because after taking out the phone, he handed it to Thomas. Thomas held it away from his body, as if it might explode, and when he looked up and the guards he noticed them looking at the phone expectantly. That was when Thomas realized it: the kids at both schools had been examined thoroughly, fingerprint scans, skin samples, hair follicles. If Thomas wasn't mistaken, the phone could tell the men who was holding the phone within a few seconds.

Thomas dropped the phone and kicked it away before the little bar on the device filled fully.

"DONT TOUCH THE PHONE!" He screamed as he dived under one of the control panels, shots suddenly firing in the air. He felt the wires behind him press into his back as he tried to distance himself from the flying bullets. The others were now nowhere to be seen, and Thomas could only hope that they had hidden well. The shots stopped for a moment and Thomas risked a peak above the table. The three men were prowling, going between desks and smashing computers in an attempt to get the kids out from their hiding spots. Suddenly, a scream shot out, and all eyes turned towards the source. Ons of the men had little Chuck by the scruff of his neck, holding him up like a little puppy.

"Got one. Let's kill him and find the others."

Chuck had tears streaming down his face, but he looked defiant. He had no intention of dying, and he refused to go down without a fight. He began to squirm under te guard's grip, and he temporarily fell free, falling behind one of the tables so Thomas couldn't see him. However, the other soldier pointed his gun behind the table. Thomas screamed, "NO!" Just as the gun shot the bullet, drowning out his cry. There was blood seeping out from under that desk now. The men continued onto another room and Thomas risked to go find Chuck. He nearly collapsed again: Chuck's face was nearly gone, the bullet had went through his left eye, spilling blood all over his face, his other eye staring up at the ceiling. Thomas couldn't move, he stood there staring at the young boy's body.

He was the school's baby. He was like our baby brother.

He collapsed next to Chuck and sat there. He felt tears coming, but he wouldn't cry. The amount of grief he felt was making the ability to cry harder. He felt almost empty, the tears were being held back for the body's own needs. As if tears were his only resource left. He felt, quite simply, utterly useless.

Thomas didn't know how long he sat there, just that a few eternities later he saw one guard come back, so he dived under a desk without thinking. He overheard him talking on the phone,

"Yes that's right sir. One dead, six captured. Still looking for one... No of course we will let you do the honors for the rest of them... Alright sir."

And Thomas heard a click. Thomas then jumped out and tackled the guard, bringing him to the bloody ground. Thomas punched his face multiple times until he saw red, stopping himself. He stood up and noticed that the guard was now knocked out. Thomas knew he had to save his friends, but it would be impossible with two buff guys with guns. He looked down at the man's armor, thinking it would've been much harder for Thomas to have knocked him out if he had been wearing his helmet rather than carrying it.

Thomas then did the first thing that came to his mind, and began to put on the armor. It covered all of his clothes and the helmet covered his face. He looked back at Chuck, planting a kiss on the side of his face that wasn't shot, and turned around. He walked the way the guard came, his plan unfolding with every step