F O U R

BURN-CHAPTER FOUR; The art of escapism

S.H.I.E.L.D. HELLICARRIER...
STILL

Cain follows Steve into the lab, the two arriving just in time to see Tony zap Bruce in the side.

"Ow!" Bruce yelps, jumping in shock.

"Hey!" Steve exclaims, quickening his step.

"Nothing?" Tony asks Bruce, interested. Steve approaches Tony.

"Are you nuts?" Steve asks him incredulously. Cain eyes the lab curiously, looking at the different screens that are currently trying to track the cube.

"Jury's out." Tony replies, jokingly answering Steve's rhetorical question.

"Actually, I'm back in. He's just a sarcastic smartass." Cain inputs, squinting his eyes at the algorithm Bruce came up with. Cain then smiles charmingly at Steve, sucking in his lower lip and biting on it to keep in the laugh when Tony sends him a delighted grin. The human was probably glad he found someone else that didn't have a stick up their ass.

"There. Case closed." Tony adds before turning to Bruce. "You really have got a lid on it, haven't you? What's your secret? Mellow jazz, bongo drums," Tony pauses in his listings before he smiles curiously, "huge bag of weed?" He adds. Cain guffaws but seems intrigued, eyeing the good doctor with curious eyes. Dr. Banner doesn't get to answer because, as always, Steve has to ruin the fun.

"Is everything a joke to you two?" Steve asks, his blue eyes flicking between Cain and Tony. Cain's smile drops slightly.

"Funny things are." Cain replies, a smirk lifting the right corner of his lips. "Like that monkey suit you have on." He adds, mocking Captain America's costume. Tony giggles but looks away while whistling when Steve glares at him. The azure glare of the Captain is back on Cain as Steve gets real close and personal to the demon.

"Threatening the safety of everyone on this ship isn't funny." Steve growls before glancing at Bruce. "No offense, Doc." Steve adds hastily. Cain scoffs.

"How is that not offensive?" Cain huffs but Bruce speaks up.

"No, it's alright." Bruce says, gaining a surprised look from Cain. "I wouldn't have come aboard if I couldn't handle pointy things." Cain's eyes soften for a second before they regain their hard shell.

"You're a tip-toeing, big man. You need to strut." Tony advises and Cain nods, agreeing.

"You shouldn't take this bullshit." Cain adds. Steve looks at the two and shakes his head.

"You two should focus on the problem, Mr. Stark, Cain." Steve orders which gains him a dark look by Cain.

"Hey, Captain Stick-In-Ass, chill out." Cain jabs, making Tony cough as he wasn't expecting the demon to say that. Steve sends Cain a sharp look but Tony steps in.

"You think we're not?" Tony asks. "I've got a few questions for you, why did Fury call us in? Why now, why not
before? What isn't he telling us? I can't do the equation unless I have all the variables." Tony explains, showing that Cain isn't the only one suspicious of Fury. Cain nods.

"You think Fury's hiding something?" Steve asks, his trusting nature appalled by the thought that he's been lied to. Cain scoffs.

"Everyone's got skeletons in their closets." Cain states and Tony nods.

"Exactly. Fury, he's a spy. Captain, he's the spy. His secrets have secrets." Tony adds. Steve furrows his brows, not wanting to believe anything. "It's bugging him too," Tony gestures to Bruce before looking at him, "isn't it?" Bruce becomes antsy as Steve looks at him for an answer.