Chapter 32

Chapter 32

      WHEN I WOKE up to my alarm, Hayden was gone. At first I was hurt, and then I remembered that Camille probably wouldn't have liked to walk in and see the two of us in bed together—even if Hayden did lay on top of the blankets and me under as a sort of barrier between us. I had to assume he left after I fell asleep to his own room.

I reluctantly crawled out of bed and over to my closet, settling on a pair of leggings and Hayden's hoodie. Not feeling like brushing my hair in the slightest, I pulled it up into a messy, unkempt ponytail. My head rang with each movement I made, and I instantly wanted to stay home from school. Unfortunately, I wasn't going to risk a run-in with Darrin while everyone was away. Last time was traumatizing enough.

A gentle rap at the door had me spinning around and instantly regretting it when pain shot through my temple. I clenched my eyes shut to fight off the pain and yelled, "Come in!"

Hayden opened the door with a hand covering his eyes, the other holding a coffee mug with what looked like water in it. "Am I clear? Can I look?"

I rolled my eyes and ignored the pain that followed. "If you weren't, I wouldn't have said you could come in."

He uncovered his eyes and shrugged. "Maybe, maybe not. You could have thought it was my mom. For whatever reason, you females get naked in front of each other. Guys don't do that unless they're on a sports team and absolutely have to." He shivered at the thought. "I'll be honest, I really don't want to see another man's junk."

"You're unbelievable."

"And you've got messy hair." He handed me the mug and a bottle of pills from his pocket. "And a hangover. Here's some water and a bottle of ibuprofen. Go crazy."

I popped two pills in my mouth and started downstairs, stopping only to raise the mug in a mock salute at Hayden before downing it's contents. When I was finally out of his line of sight, I subtly felt around my head for any cowlicks or lumps in my hair. Satisfied that there were none, I headed into the kitchen to say hi to Camille.

      "Good morning, Scarlet." She asks when she saw me trailing behind Hayden. "Do you want something for breakfast?"

      I shook my head. I may have been feeling better after my last encounter with Darrin, but I still wasn't up to par, and neither was my stomach. I'd been nauseous since I woke up in the woods and I didn't trust my stomach to hold in anything besides a glass of water. The hangover didn't help. "Thank you, but I'm fine."

      The look she sent me said she didn't believe me, but she to let it go as Hayden snatched up a piece of toast off his plate and discarded the rest with a quick apology to his mom. By the time he turned and was ready to leave, I was already halfway out the door and heading to his car.

      "I think I'll drive this time."

      Hayden laughed, the sound more mocking than genuine as he reached the doorway. "Like hell you will. I've got the keys, Red."

      "You sure about that?"

      His smile dropped when he realized the keys weren't on their usual hook in the doorway. I jingled them in my hand as he checked his pockets and grinned when he looked up to find the source the noise. "Shit."

      I spun around and opened the car door, but Hayden slipped around me and stole the seat before I had the chance to jump in. I cursed under my breath. "I can drive, you know."

      He pulled at his piercings with his teeth. "You have a license?" When I didn't answer, he took my silence as a win and grinned triumphantly. "I'll take that as a no. Now hurry up and get in before I leave you in the dust."