Iron Core Monks - A Short Story by @JeffreyVonHauger

Iron Core Monks

By Jeffrey Von Hauger

All Rights Reserved 2018

Seven dead cops and a kid who didn't deserve it, then I ditched the hijacked jumper on the edge of the sector

Seven dead cops and a kid who didn't deserve it, then I ditched the hijacked jumper on the edge of the sector. I'd be safe if I could get on the other side of the steel door. It was hardly noticeable on the epic wall of rock.

A miner backed up to the asteroid and clamped onto the entry point. The greedy eyes of the pilot, drill operator, owner, and only crewman sparkled above his anxious smile. I handed him my turbo blaster. My military grade weapon was easily worth twice the price of his little ship.

I would be unarmed from here on out.

I walked through the airlock and pulled the door behind me. The miner's craft detached, drifted away, and in a moment was gone. Only stars and asteroids remained out the small window as it slowly closed and left me in a dark tunnel.

I followed flickering lights down a thousand-year-old shaft that led to an enormous hollow cavern with an ecosystem inside. It took a half hour to walk to the entrance. A great iron door sealed the entire tunnel.

In an alcove off the side stood a sentry robot. The rudimentary tinman worn by long-term exposure came to life as I approached. I closed my eyes as its red scanner beam passed over my face.

"What is the purpose of your visit to the Iron Core?" the robot asked.

"I need somewhere to lay low for a while."

"Are you seeking asylum?"

"Yeah."

"Are you wanted by the authorities?"

"Not exactly."

The robot tilted its head, implying I should provide it with further information.

"They think I'm dead."

"If discovered, would you pose a threat to this outpost?"

"Nah, I'd leave before any trouble started. I wasn't followed."

"What is the identity you are traveling under?"

"Michael Diamond."

"Very low key, indeed." A robot with a sense of humor. "You are granted an asylum interview. Please take the first lift, then follow the road to the monastery."

The iron door groaned open.

"Thanks."

"My pleasure. Entry can be disorienting. Please breathe slowly."

I walked through and there were a series of freight elevators. I took the first big empty lift and its door closed behind me. It connected with a surface that crossed the cavern and spun around at an incredible speed. I was sucked to the wall like a magnet.