Over For Dinner

I stand awkwardly on the porch of my new friend's house. My mom dropped me off almost five minutes ago now, but I still have not rung the doorbell. I am new in town and Elodie was the first friend I made here. She had invited me over for dinner the other day, and I said yes, not entirely knowing I would be this nervous to even ring the bell. Finally, I take a deep breath and push the shiny silver button. As if on cue, the house erupts into sound--a dog barks and voices begin shouting to each other. Over all the noise I hear an "I'll get it!" and then pounding footsteps. The door swings open and I am greeted by the enthusiastic face of Elodie.

"Ruby! I'm so glad you could make it!" she exclaims. "Please, come in!"

She steps aside to let me in. Although the house appears slightly disheveled, it gives off a cozy, welcoming vibe.

"Elodie! Dinner is ready! Is your friend here?" a voice calls out from the kitchen.

"Yeah, she's here! We'll be right there!" Elodie shouts back. She grabs my hand and leads me into the dining room where I am confronted with what seems like a sea of new faces.

"Here, you can sit next to me," Elodie says, taking a seat. I nod and lower myself into the chair on her left. I look around at all the people, none of whom seem to be all that surprised to find a stranger at their dinner table.

"Hey," says the man reading the newspaper to my left. I assume he is talking to me, even though he doesn't bother to look up.

"Um, hello." I murmur back.

"I hope everyone is hungry! I made chicken parmesan!" Elodie's mother sings as she walks into the dining room holding a platter with the chicken on it. She thumps it down on the table, startling awake an old woman sitting across from me. "Dig in!" she orders.

"Elodie, who is your friend?" the old woman queries from her newly awakened state.

"Oh!" Elodie gulps a large bite of chicken. "Hey everyone, this is Ruby. She's new at my school this year. We met when I was trying to steal Tommy Wilmot's eraser. Ruby was the one who let me borrow hers instead."

"Hello. It's nice to meet you all." I say, quietly.

"New you say? Where did you live before?" the man I am assuming to be Elodie's father questions me, dishing out a piece of chicken onto his plate.

"I was in the city," I reply, grabbing a roll from the plate Elodie was offering me.

"Ah, a city slicker, eh?" the man who was reading the newspaper has set it down and is now apparently taking part in the conversation.

I don't know what to say, "Uh..."

"Don't be rude, Bill," Elodie's mom scolds him.

"I didn't mean it like that, Susan," he replies begrudgingly.

"It's fine, I don't take any offense," I say hurriedly, worried an argument might erupt.

"That's very sweet of you, Ruby, but there's no need for you to defend my brother. He doesn't know what he's saying half the time," her mother answers with exasperation.

"Hey!" Uncle Bill retorts, clearly irritated.

"So, Bill, how was your fishing trip today?" Elodie's father inquires, diverting the conversation.

"Oh, it was great," Uncle Bill says, mouth full of food, but clearly warming to the subject, "I caught a huge lot today."

"Bill, don't chew with your mouth open," the old woman--Elodie's grandmother--scolds him.