Chapter 7 - Closing Distance

'Ashlyn Robinette'

Ashlyn woke up to a rapid knocking on her door. She groaned, pulling the sheets over her head and curling up. She rolled over to her side to face away from the brightness while kneading her forehead with her knuckles. The knocking persisted, prompting Ashlyn to sit up groggily. Standing up from the bed with the sheets still tightly wrapped around her, she shuffled over to the door with the blankets dragging behind her, half-asleep with her hair ruffled in a typical bed hair fashion.

"Hello...?" she muttered, rubbing the heel of her hand against her right eye. There was a short pause.

"IT'S MEEEEEEEEEE!!" someone shouted from outside. Ashlyn stumbled back when an invisible force pushed on her.

Recognizing the voice, Ashlyn opened the door hesitantly before she was given a wakeup call when Celine hugged her tightly. "C-Celine, it's 8am!"

"It's never too early or too late!" Celine said brightly as she pulled away. She was dressed up in a short-sleeved denim jacket with a black t-shirt, along with a punk skirt and matching stockings, while her leather boots tapped against the ground. In other words, it looked like Celine was in her street clothes. Ashlyn wondered as to why Celine was here, dressed up as she was. Band practice?

"What are you doing here...?" Ashlyn asked, yawning widely as she continued rubbing his eyes.

"We're all done our tests, so I figured maybe the band could head out to celebrate!" Celine replied, clapping her hands enthusiastically. Ashlyn froze upon hearing that. Heading out? As in... out into the city?

"W-What do you mean exactly?" Ashlyn asked, hoping that they weren't going out in public. She didn't do well with crowds. She considered refusing, but Ashlyn didn't have the heart to say no to Celine... or to anyone for that matter.

"All of us are going downtown to hang out! Me, you, Ty, and Rey!" Celine answered cheerfully, smiling widely.

Ashlyn felt her heart quicken for two reasons: downtown and Reyhan. The first of which was all the reason she needed to not go. She couldn't even function well enough in a small group, she would shut down amongst such a crowded place. However... Ashlyn took a bit of comfort knowing that Reyhan was going to be there. She felt safe and comfortable around him... At least, as safe and comfortable as she could be.

"Hee hee, I see you waking up a little there. I'm glad you like us that much!" Celine remarked, pointing towards Ashlyn's face. Ashlyn hesitated, knowing that this was her last chance to back out. However, she knew she would feel guilty if she didn't go along with them. She didn't want to disappoint them.

"Give me a bit to get ready," she said a little sleepily, while giving one final big yawn.

"YES! CAN'T WAIT!" Celine shouted, prompting three small shockwaves to blow on Ashlyn's hair and reel her head back. "Meet you in front of the school!"

"O-Okay..." Ashlyn mumbled as Celine skipped away and left Ashlyn to stand there a little winded.

Ashlyn was about to close the door when another opened beside her room. Her sister peeked her head out, looking much more awake and cleaned up than Ashlyn.

"What was that...?" Col asked, raising an eyebrow.

"T-That was Celine... She's invited the band over to do something... downtown," Ashlyn explained, hesitating with that last word. Upon saying it, she realized what she was about to do. It was something she would've otherwise considered unthinkable to do. Her sister did a double-take, seeming to have the same line of thought.