~30~

Edited

  "If you had a friend you knew you'd never see again, what would you say? If you could do one last thing for someone you love, what would it be? Say it, do it, don't wait. Nothing lasts forever."
― One Tree Hill  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

|3 Years Ago| (At the party)

|Hunter|

I tried to find Scarlett in the sea of dancing bodies, somehow we'd gotten separated. I gritted my teeth when some drunk guy bumped into me.

Maybe this wasn't such a great idea after all.

I should never have convinced Scarlett to come here.

Where the hell was she?

I sighed in relief when I spotted the back of Jace's head. I quickly made my way towards him. I tapped him on his shoulder to get his attention.

His eyes widened in confusion when he saw me. "What are you doing here?"

It was my turn to look confused now. "What do you mean?"

His eyes narrowed. "Didn't you ask Nichole to tell Scarlett that you were waiting for her by the pool?"

My eyes widened in shock. "Absolutely not! Who told you this?" I demanded.

A feeling of dread started to settle in my chest.

Jace mirrored my shocked expression. "Nichole came here a while ago I read her lips when she was talking to Scarlett. She said she was going to take her to the pool where you were waiting for her."

It's like my legs had a mind of their own. I ran outside as fast as I could. My head whipped in all directions, trying to locate the pool house.

That's when I heard it, a scream.

The music from the party was pretty loud but I knew I'd heard it.

I ran in the direction of the sound as fast as my legs could carry me. A few moments later the pool house came into view.

"Scarlett!" I screamed.

Nothing.

Something was clawing the inside of my chest. Something was wrong, I could feel it.

I needed to find Scarlett.

A noise caught my attention. Something in the pool moved. A flash of raven hair caught my eye.

Without pausing to think I jumped, the icy-cold water bit at my skin but I didn't care. I grabbed her around her waist and hauled her out of the water.

My hands shook as I laid her on the ground as gently as I could.

Her eyes were closed. Her chest wasn't moving.

I put my hands on her chest and pushed, trying to recall what they'd taught us in school about CPR. I kept doing chest compressions till my arms started to ache. I put my ear to her chest.

Nothing.

I opened her mouth and put my lips to her chilled ones, trying to get some air to her lungs.

Come on Scarlett. Don't do this to me.

Please.

My vision started to get blurred by my tears but I furiously wiped them away refusing to give up.