Chapter 25 - Terrified

The rest of the day was a bit of a blur.

After Trey and Silas were removed from the premises and Dean had a moment to calm down, he escorted me down to the infirmary and demanded a proper pregnancy test be done. Typically, a she-wolf's mate would be able to detect a change in her scent when pregnant, but if it was very early on like Trey mentioned, then it would be likely that Dean couldn't detect any changes just yet.

I felt numb and barely reacted as the doctors and nurses drew blood and requested urine samples from me. After only about an hour, it was determined that I was indeed, going to be having a pup. I was still in the earliest stages of pregnancy, and Dean likely wouldn't notice any changes in my scent for several more days or perhaps even a week.

I, however, was warned that I could begin experiencing symptoms any day. The nurses kindly warned me of nausea, potential vomiting, cramping, body aches, headaches, lethargy, and about fifty other symptoms that I couldn't even remember.

After all of the medical staff felt certain that we were properly educated for the time being, Dean and I were permitted to leave the infirmary.

Dean didn't say much, likely due to the same thoughts and emotions that I was experiencing. He would simply hold my hand and give it a squeeze or place a soft kiss on my forehead periodically. We both had a lot to process. It hadn't even been that long since we'd completed our mate bond – we certainly weren't expecting something this serious to happen so soon.

The doctor explained that I'd likely been close to my heat when Dean and I completed our mating, and although I was thankful I never had to experience heat, I was just as scared to go through pregnancy.

After we left the infirmary, Dean decided to take me outside to the pond at the back of the pack house, which was fed by a thin, quiet creek. Trees, benches, and some flowers surrounded the area, making it one of the most beautiful and peaceful places on pack territory. Despite the warm temperature Dark Root was experiencing today, I was thankful for the fresh air.

We sat on the bench and watched some of the fish swim around near the shallow parts of the pond, and I found myself falling deeper into my own thoughts.

"What're you thinking about?" Dean finally asked, his voice soft and steady.

I shrugged, keeping my eyes on the body of water in front of me.

"Audrey," Dean started, adding a stern edge to his voice. "As shocking as this news is, it's not something either of us can just ignore and not talk about."

I swallowed hard, fighting back the overwhelming emotions that hit me when Dean spoke. I knew he was right, but if I talked about it, it would become much too real.

"I'm terrified," I finally spoke.

Dean paused for a moment, contemplating his response.

"So am I."

My head snapped to look in Dean's direction, eager to see his expression and hear more of his thoughts on the subject. Most Alphas would be thrilled to know they would possibly have an heir for their pack, but Dean seemed just as troubled as I did. In a way, it was almost reassuring to know we were both feeling the same way about the matter.

"I've always wanted to be a mother," I started again, hoping Dean would open up more about his thoughts and feelings if I spoke up first. "I desperately wanted the opportunity to give a child love and a wonderful childhood, much unlike mine. I just never expected it to happen this early."

Dean nodded in understanding, but part of him seemed...relieved.

Had he thought I didn't want our pup at all?