Chapter 60 The Wolf Queen Awakened

"She never stumbled in last night, like she usually does," Vilkas said worried.

"Maybe she met some charming scoundrel and spent the night in his bed," Bishop suggested with a smirk.

Farkas' cheeks burned and Vilkas scoffed, "Shows how well you know her. First off, I haven't seen her even look at another man since Skjor, second she's been taking her role as Harbinger very seriously. She never goes anywhere without telling us first."

Bishop shrugged and then he heard Rona come down the stairs. She was wearing her dress, but was barefoot and her hair was a tangled mess, the makeup she'd worn the night before was a bit smudged in places too. She looked pretty funny, though it was even funnier when she came over asking, "What's going on? Did something happen?" And Farkas turned bright red and Vilkas averted his eyes, covering his mouth and coughing slightly.

Bishop ignored them, glanced at her and said, "Aela's missing."

"What do you mean missing? Like she didn't come back from a job or something?"

"Don't know if she got a contract," Vilkas said, furrowing his brows, "Work's been pretty scarce round these parts."

"Well, come in for a minute," Bishop waved them in, "I'll fix breakfast and we'll get dressed and go out and look for her."

Vilkas narrowed his eyes and said, "It's already one in the afternoon."

"Lunch then, whatever," he scoffed and turned towards the kitchen. The two brothers stepped inside.

"Ladyship, you might want to go wash your face," Bishop said.

She looked at him confused and he took his thumb to her lips and wiped some of the lipstick she'd been wearing the night before off and showed it to her. She turned beat red and ran upstairs quickly, then hurried back down with a pile of clothes in her arms and vanished down into the cellar without looking at any of them.

Bishop laughed at her and started pulling food out of the cupboards. He passed a couple of bottles of mead to Vilkas and Farkas. Farkas took a seat over at the table and Vilkas said to Bishop, "Uh, you might want to wash your mouth too."

"What? Did I say something wrong?" He asked as he started chopping vegetables while Karnwyr sat by, waiting expectantly for some scraps.

"No, but you've got plenty of your own lipstick smeared all over your face," Vilkas smirked at him. Bishop frowned and started rubbing at whatever makeup Rona had left on him from the night before.

Vilkas took a seat next to Farkas and said, "Nice place you've got here."

"Not mine," Bishop said, "Belongs to the Ladyship, but it's probably on loan from the Jarl anyhow. I'm sure they'll want it back once they start looking to collect their property taxes on it and no one's around to pay them."

Vilkas chuckled then picked up the book sitting on the table and said, "Pleasures of a Curved Sword?"

Bishop dropped the knife and the carrot he was chopping and hurried over and snatched the book up before Vilkas had a chance to crack it open. He looked up at Bishop with half a smile and laughed, "Never thought a man like you would need an instruction guide on how to bed a woman."

Bishop cleared his throat and said, "I don't. Just enjoy the pictures every now and then." Always covering for Rona. She'd probably die of embarrassment if she knew they'd found out she bought the book.

"Right," Vilkas said skeptically and he shook his head, "You two always make it so damn obvious what you're up to."

Bishop stuffed the book on a shelf between a few cookbooks and went back to work, "You mean like how you make it so obvious that you're sizing her up? Don't think I haven't noticed your staring gentlemen. But that's why I always remind you who the Dragonborn belongs to."