Night time skating (ZaneXPixal)(kinda ...)

Authors note: Just for reference in this chapter and all future chapters, I do not like Pixal as a character, let alone a love interest for my very favorite character in Ninjago. Because of this I introduce an OC love interest named Anaka (ah-ne-kuh), She rebuilds Zane in between season three and four and that's when this takes place. If you like Pixal I totally respect that but know that she will probably never appear in any of my writings.

—-

Zane sat with his hands outstretched, looking over the metallic fingers that responded as if they were completely connected to his brain and heart, he worked in complete functionality- he worked better than he even had before, his breath felt more real, he now knew what it felt like to have a heart beat, even his metallic skin had a slight warmth to it. He felt more human now than he had ever felt in his life ... but not just because of the body.

Zane had had the ability to love before, he knew he did when he looked to each of his brothers, to his family, he loved them- from the very beginning the feeling was programmed into him. But it was not like this, it was not the same feeling that he got from Anaka- this feeling was different, one that he felt only for her ... and he knew that she had not programmed it into him- she had not touched his programming. No- this was something she had done to him ... that wasn't about the body she had built him.

Zane tore his eyes away from the glassy water in front of them and looked to Anaka who sat as his side, she had taken her jacket off and set it on the ground next to her, letting the warm summer air brush against her bare shoulders. Her bright gold eyes reflected the water in front of them as she sat deep in thought. Zane felt his heart beat slightly faster and was surprised to find that he enjoyed the feeling, simply staring at her as she stared over the water.

She had insisted to Ronin for the third night in a row that Zane wasn't finished. Lied about upgrades that he needed before they could possibly hand him over to Chen ... and for the third night in a row they were once again sitting outside, choosing not to work on any fictitious upgrades. Zane finally opened his mouth, speaking to her in a whisper.

"Anaka... why do you insist that I am not finished?" he asked her gently. Anaka stirred out of her deep thought and turned to him, her face going slightly red as she did so. " I could still make you better- I can't send you away yet- ... and ..." she paused for a long silent moment "And I'm not ready for you to go away yet." Zane sensed the hidden emotion in her voice and turned away from her, not wanting to let her know that he had seen her turn a bright red color.

Zane pushed his hand under him, standing up quickly as he outstretched his hand in the direction of the lake. The icy mist escaped from his fingertips, quickly freezing over every inch of water to a hard solid white. Anaka stood up as well, grabbing her jacket and pulling it back over her arms. "Zane- what are you-" she started, but he stopped her, reaching for her hand and taking it gently in his, pulling her towards the ice. "Come on, skate with me." he told her as he stepped onto the ice, already beginning to slide backwards. Anaka took her hand quickly out of his grasp, taking a step backward.

"I don't know how to skate." She said quickly. She turned to look back in the general direction of the workshop. "We should be heading-" but Zane took her hand again, turning her back to face him. "I won't let you fall." he told her. Anaka's eyes softened as she seemed to contemplate the situation, and then finally took a slow and cautious step out onto the ice.He felt her strong grip on his hand as she slid onto the ice nervously, her feet moving to slip out from beneath her, but she steadied herself quickly, looking up into his eyes. Her vision lingered there for a long moment before she looked away back down at the ice beneath her feet. "This is amazing." she whispered, her face breaking into a slight smile. Zane felt himself grin as he took a few steps backward pulling her after him as she began to laugh first nervously and then freely, as Zane worked them around and around the icy water.

Zane slowed down once they were in the middle of the lake, slowing to a near stop. " You can let go of my hand now." Anaka told him as she worked her fingers out of his where they had entwined together. She put both arms out to her sides as she steadied herself taking a few cautious steps on the ice, but still seemingly stable. "You got it-" Zane said, but perhaps he had spoke to soon as Anaka yelped suddenly falling forward slightly. Zane moved quickly to catch her as her hands gripped his arms tightly as she fell heavily into his chest. Zane just barely stabilized them on the slippery ice as Anaka leaned into him in an awkward stumbling hug. "Sorry" she yelped quickly but Zane wrapped both of his hands quickly around her waist, standing her straight up again and taking her hand once again in his. "It's alright." he told her quickly, grinning slightly. "You're doing fine."

Written: October 10 2018