Chapter 3 Very Human

Londiwe- Low-ndee-way

Shaman- healer/medicine-woman/witchdoctor

Chapter 3 Very human

Londiwe

I did not know the meaning of agony till today. I don't know the last time I was in pain for this long. And grouchy pants was not helping. He was possessive and demanding. Ayayayayai. Chauta is infallible, Londi, even if you think he made a mistake. He did not. He just seemed abrasive for my Thanda. Inside the shaman's hut, I was laid down on a bed. Katondeka explained to the shaman how we got wounded and that we were leopards. I learnt that the bandits he was pursuing had killed a man as they robbed a silo of maize. The shaman examined my wound.

"Thank you Katondeka you may leave. I want to begin my work." Lekeleni the shaman said gathering a few herbs into a small pounding mortar.

Katondeka sat immobile starring at Thandanani.

"Your mate will be here tomorrow." Lekeleni said with a chuckle.

Katondeka grunted and left wishing us a goodnight.

"He is not Mr personality, but he has a good heart." Lekeleni said.

Thandanani just smiled, watching the door her mate had just walked out through. Would I be that taken up by my mate? The shaman gave me a sedative and an anaesthetic despite me telling her I could handle the pain. She told me that she did not deactivate the toxin that paralysed my powers since that would make me heal fast and the villagers would think me a witch. When I awoke my hand was sewn up. I glanced around the room. Thanda was lying in her own bed starring at the moon crying. I lifted myself and walked to her bed. She did not notice me till I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her back to my chest.

"I didn't want to meet him now." Thanda exhaled. "I didn't want to meet him. I came on this trip to get away. To get away from everything."

I stroked her arm.

"I am not ready to be mated. I am not ready to be a mother to his son. I have too many mummy issues to be a mother."

Thandanani's mother, my mother's co-wife, abandoned her as an infant.

I pulled her close. "Chauta knows all his. He brought Katondeka into your life now. I don't think you should shut him out."

"But the time is not right." She slammed her closed fist against the bed.

"You sound like Lizwe. Since when did you care about timing?" I chuckled.

"Since I met the woman who abandoned me."

Before dying, my mother introduced Thanda to her birth mother.

"I know that was rough but have considered that he could comfort you."

"Did Lekeleni use chamba as an anaesthetic?" She half-laughed. "I don't think Katondeka is capable of comforting anyone."

I laughed. "But the mate bond might surprise you."

Thanda sighed. "I don't know Londi. She left me. My own mother left with our monster of a father to be with her mate."

The word mate was propelled off her tongue with bitterness.

"Is that what's bothering you the fact that you have a soulmate. After your mother left to be with hers."

Tears gushed out of her eyes, she nodded. "The whole thing is bizarre. When you meet your precious mate they become the centre of your world. Your first thought. I don't want to be part of that."

I mashed my lips together to hold down a laugh. She sounded childish.

"You think I am being silly don't you?" she craned her neck to face me.

"A little." I wiped a tear off her cheek. "Give him a chance."

"You don't even know him, why are you making his case."

"Because I trust Chauta."

I woke up in Thanda's bed. It must have been mid-morning. I smelled porridge in the house. I slowly walked towards the lounge. My limbs were heavy. In the lounge, standing near the porridge was a lithe man. I stumbled backwards. "Thief."

He turned. Remembering that I was wounded and Lekeleni had hidden my powers; my heart went into overdrive. I searched the floor for something to defend myself.

"I won't hurt you." He said holding out his hands.

I glanced up at him. Our eyes connected. "Mate!" Bongwani cajoled. My eyes did not flash because of the toxin in me. I relaxed. "What are you doing here?"

"I live here. I am Lekeleni's son." He replied calmly.

"OH sorry. I am a patient."

"It's okay. Your sister is helping my mother pick herbs. You hungry?"

I nodded. He turned to the porridge and dished it into two bowls.

My mate was human. Very human. I did not see this coming. I suppose Chauta had listened to my rant about leopards. At least he was not Mzoli the dog. As we filled our bellies with porridge, I learnt that my mate was called Zosowa. I wanted to say more but he was quiet. And I was still processing the fact that I had a human mate. If I didn't want him, I could just leave. He would not know.

"Hypocritical." Bongwani seethed.

She was right. I should live out my words.

"When will your mother be back?" I glanced down at my arm. In all the excitement I had not noticed I had strained my stitches. They were coming off and blood was oozing.

"This afternoon. I can re-do it." Zosowa said.

I arched my eyebrows up.

"She taught me."

I nodded. He took our bowls away. Retuning with a needle and some herbs. He led me to the room his mother had used to stich me up. My back was arched, my heart was sprinting within my chest. I tried to relax but it did not work.

I lay on the bed, gripping the sides, ready to jump up if he started doing anything he should not be.

"I can't give you a sedative since you had one last night but I will give you an anaesthetic." He said giving me a red pellet.

I was glad I would be awake. I did not want to be asleep as he touched me. I chewed it. Zosowa was a meticulous man. He took his time making sure each stitch was done properly. Thanda entered the hut. I knew from the sound of her footsteps. I called her into the room. She raised her eyebrows then lowered them when she was what he was doing.

"Burst my stitches. Long story." I told her.

She nodded as she sat with me. She knew how nervous being in this position made me. I was grateful she was here. I was frightened lying down with him working on me but I could not help but notice his round face, bushy moustache and his sangria eyes. He was attractive. Not now Londi. Not while he is working on your arm.

Author's Note

Bongwani is bull. So Londiwe's first kill was a bull. Please vote or comment.

Favourite character so far??