32. LES ASSIÉGÉS

"I am not actually tired, but numb and heavy, and can't find the right words. All I can say is: Stay with me, don't leave me."

— Franz Kafka  

The mirror didn't pulse with power as it had before, it just stood there as vacant as a wall if it weren't for the reflections

The mirror didn't pulse with power as it had before, it just stood there as vacant as a wall if it weren't for the reflections. Shabina watched Zeke and the others through it. He'd been at her side for years, never wavering, always smiling.

He was still smiling now. He grinned and slapped one of the guards on the shoulder, ushering him along.

Zeke caught her eye in the reflection and beamed even brighter. He hopped over a roll of blankets and bounced to her side. He leaned against the mirror's frame and gave it a brief glance before turning the full intensity of his grey eyes to her. "What's popping?"

She rubbed her forehead. "Still nothing."

"Have you tried turning it off and back on again?"

She glared at him. His smile dimmed for a beat before he scratched his chin. A shadow of stubble covered his cheeks and chin, making him look tired. He scanned the mirror. "You'll figure it out."

"I don't think I will," she said. Something caved in her chest as she did. She closed her eyes. "Nobody's coming for us. They won't even know we're in trouble for weeks yet--let alone be able to get to us."

Lin might have come. She'd promised to bring Hadrian back once Mara was dead. Except Lin herself was probably gone. It was hard to imagine the huntress being dead, taking her wickedly intelligent gaze and barbed tongue with her.

Shabina opened her eyes and looked over her shoulder, spotting Cortez with ease. The young man was easy enough to find -- his dark skin and broad shoulder practically a landmark among her guards. He sat in the corner, staring at his hands.

If what he'd said was true, then they were well and truly fucked.

Shabina swallowed and turned to the mirror. "I'm so sorry."

"Hm?" Zeke raised his eyebrows.

"I can't fix this." She could hardly hear her own voice. "I -- I don't think we can make it out of here."

Her chin wobbled, face getting hot. Zeke sighed and wrapped an arm around her shoulders, letting her lean against him. "We'll be fine. Always are, aren't we?"

"So far," Shabina said. 

Zeke clucked and put his hands on both her shoulders, moving so they were face-to-face. Shabina slouched slightly so he didn't make her feel even more ridiculous by going on his tippy-toes. His grey eyes glittered. "Come on, your majesty. Mind over matter, you start crying and we're all gonna lose hope."

She chuckled wetly. He let her go and  slapped her shoulders, turning back to his men. Shabina grabbed his arm before he could go. "Wait."

He swung his head back.