Chapter 87

*Weeks Later (December)*

-Hayley's POV-

I stood in the line between two classmates of mine that I had only talked to a few times. Even though I had only gone to a community college the last year, I still didn't know everyone in my classes like I had in high school.

And honestly, I preferred it that way.

I was surrounded by a sea of black robes and square hats. Some girls giggled to themselves saying how they would probably end up crying. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes.

I looked across at the line to my left. Matt was standing between a stout man and a tiny bubbly girl with heels that were half the size of her own height. Matt craned his neck back, staring pointlessly at the ceiling, clicking his tongue against the roof of his mouth.

He must have felt me staring. His gaze slowly wandered to meet mine and red spread across his face. I bit my tongue, trying not to laugh.

"Hey! I need you guys to shut up for a few minutes alright! We have two minutes before the graduation ceremony begins and I will not have it take a second more."

Matt rolled his eyes, making a small snort escape through my nose. I tried to look as innocent as possible. I didn't want this lady to snap my neck. She had a vein popping out in her forehead and neck. I don't think she would hesitate much.

The music sounded, signalling that it was time to start, whether we were ready or not.

I gave a nervous smile to Matt who smiled and shrugged.

"You're going to be okay." He mouthed to me and I nodded despite the twisting in my stomach. I knew what Matt meant. He didn't mean that I was going to be okay for the next half hour or two. He didn't mean that I wouldn't fall on my face or forget to move when they called my name.

He didn't mean any of that.

When Matt told me that I was going to be okay, he meant forever. Not just in remembering everything from college or studies. Not from reading the newspaper on a daily basis. Not even during elections and I needed to go vote.

No, Matt meant that even though I had lost my closest friends over the years, I had gained new ones. Even though my dad had passed away, I gained a new father who loved all three of Logan, Mom, and I just as much as Dad had. That even though, my life before had been nothing but obstacles, the future was brighter and much clearer now than it ever had been before.

Matt meant to assure me of everything that he, himself, wanted to be assured of.

"So are you." I mouthed back and for the first time since I met Matt, I saw him cry.

I had seen him tear up when McKenna basically plowed over his heart, but never had I seen an actual tear roll down his cheek. It didn't last long. Maybe one or two tears max before he sniffed and wiped them away and put on a smile.

I was going to be okay. We all were.

-Niall's POV-

I have been sitting in this auditorium for what seems like ages, just staring blankly at an empty stage as professors and speakers run around putting last minute things in place. It made me think of Hayley's high school graduation.

It was kinda awkward to be honest. Being in a gym filled with people gathered to watch their family and friends leave the life of high school and move on to the next big thing. I never graduated high school and I'd never graduate college either. I had no idea how these sort of things were supposed to go but I'm pretty sure the high school graduations shouldn't be more organized than a college one.

Logan rambled on about how he was tired and wanted to go eat already.

I couldn't agree with him more. A beer from the bar sounded great too.

"How much longer?" Logan complained again causing Lana to slap him upside the head.

"Can you shut up for like five minutes. Your sister is about to graduate college and all you can think of is food? We're all hungry but none of us are complaining. Now shut up and take pictures, got it?"

Without really intending to do so, I laughed. The sound was loud and drew many puzzled expressions from people around us. A little girl a row in front of me smiled shyly and I did the same. She tugged and pulled on a red headed girl's sleeve, whom I assume was her sister since they looked exactly alike.

"What?" The older one groaned. Graduation must have pressed heavily on all families and not just our own.

"Niall is here."

"Shut up. You're being delusional."

"No I'm not! He's behind us!" The little girl frowned.

"Why the hell would he be her-" She stopped mid-sentence and snatched a program out of her mother's hands. "Sorry, this is important."

I knew what she was looking for and as soon as she froze, I was positive that she had found it.

Hayley's name.

She turned around slowly and peeked over her shoulder. I shifted my eyes back towards the stage, partially to try to get a glimpse of Hayley and also because I didn't want to look like I was staring.

It didn't take more than a minute before I had two red headed girls standing in front of me asking for a picture. The little one had to be around the age of ten while the older sister was about seventeen.

I sat there and talked to them about themselves, the way I always wanted to be able to talk to the fans. But when music filled the small arena, we were forced back into our sits accompanied by silence.

The feeling swirling inside my veins was a strange one. IT was a mixture of pride and sadness. More pride than anything though. I watched as students beamed proudly as they took their diplomas and laughed at their family cheers.

"Hayley Lydia-May Turner."

Whoops and hollers sounded from all the family and friends who attended to graduation. Which actually ended up being more than I thought. There were a few aunts and uncles, who I met for the first time. I few cousins and Hayley's old friends from high school, Maggie and Kaylee.

Hayley grinned when she held the diploma in her hands. She had made it. She fianlly made it.

"Proud of you baby!" I shouted out before I could talk myself out of it. Hayley looked up at me and shook her reddening face. "That's my fiance!" I stated loudly again, this time standing.

Laughter filled the arena and Hayley was as red as I had ever seen.

But oh well. She loves me enough to get over it soon enough.

((A/N: Hiiii  guys!:) how are youu? There's like five more chapters:(

vote comment pleaseeeeeeee! ilysm xxx))