➣ five.

005. | THE BEAUTY WITHIN

"Mom said, 'if a boy can't see the beauty within, then he's not worth it.'," Jane complained to us. "Can you believe it? What world does she live in?"

I rolled my eyes. "Auradon."

It was the next day, and Mal, Evie, and I were hanging out in our dorm room. We had skipped class so we could try and find the wand, and Jane had found us a short time later to dump her personal problems on us. And since I really didn't want to hear it, I was barely giving the girl my attention as I doodled absentmindedly in my sketchbook.

"Mal, Freddy," Evie piped up, showing us the dress she'd been working on using her sewing machine. "Do you like?"

Mal glanced up at her and nodded. "Yeah, it's cute."

"It brings out your eyes," I agreed.

Evie looked at the dress and smiled. "I know."

"I'll never get a boyfriend," Jane said with an exasperated sigh.

Mal rolled her eyes. "Boyfriends are overrated."

"Honestly, they really are," I said in agreement.

Evie paused to look at us. "And how would you two know? You've never had one."

"It's 'cause we don't need one, E," I told her. "They're a total waste of time."

Evie huffed, but then her eyes widened, and she gasped before saying, "I forgot to do Chad's homework!" She then got up and rushed over to her bag, muttering to herself, "Oh, no! Oh, no, no, no."

"And that is exactly what I mean," Mal said.

Just then, a tall Asian girl with a short bob cut came in, looking at all of us with a smile.

"Hey, guys!" she said. "I'm Lonnie." When we all gave her blank stares went on, "My mom's Mulan? No?" She shook her head. "Anyways, I love what you've done with Jane's hair. And I know you hate us, and, well, you're evil... But do you think you could do mine?"

I looked up at her, brushing a lock of my hair out of my face. "Why would I do that for you?"

Lonnie held up a pouch and shook it, and we heard the clinking of coins. "I'll pay you fifty dollars."

Evie instantly stood up and took the pouch from her. "Good answer." Looking at Lonnie's hair, she said, "I need to buy more material. Let's see, I'm thinking, we lose the bangs, maybe some layers and some highlights–"

Lonnie shook her head. "Yeah, yeah. But I want it cool. Like Freddy's."

Evie gave me a glance. "Really? The split ends, too?"

I rolled my eyes, but when Evie shook the pouch of money at me I huffed and stood up, grabbing Maleficent's spellbook from the table and opening it up. "Okay... 'Beware, forswear, replace the old with cool hair.'"

Using the same trick I had with Jane, I made Lonnie's hair grow, adding highlights and waves and shifting her little tiara to one side. Lonnie rushed over to the mirror, gasping excitement at the sight of her new hairstyle.