𝕀𝕀𝕀

3 | to hold a witch

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀WREN AWOKE WITH A START, SITTING UP QUICKLY

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀WREN AWOKE WITH A START, SITTING UP QUICKLY. COLD METAL PRESSED AGAINST HER WRISTS, KEEPING HER CHAINED TO A STONE WALL BEHIND HER. "MOM?" she called out, pulling at her binds. "Hello?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Good, you're awake." Sophie walked into the crypt where she had been holding the pale-haired girl. "If you don't pull on the chains, they won't hurt." She cast a glance at the rusted metal.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Release me immediately." Wren wrapped her hand around the chain, wincing as the cuff around her wrist dug into her skin. She gave it a good yank, testing to see if it was sturdy enough to withhold her strength. To her despair, it was. "My coven will not stand for this, you are asking for war."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"We made a deal with your coven. We get you, and in exchange, they get to live in peace. We will leave them alone, disregarding the fact that they've refused to join us, and they will be left to their own devices." Sophie unscrewed a water bottle and handed it to Wren, careful not to touch her skin, before backing away.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren's lips parted in betrayal. Her mother had traded her away like some prized horse? And all for peace? "You're lying," she finally spoke, shaking her head. "My mother wouldn't trade her heir for a chance at peace."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Sophie put her hands on her hips, feeling some form of pity for the girl. Wren wasn't much younger than herself, but she was a girl still. She should've been out, living her life. "I'm sorry, Wren," Sophie muttered, "but she did."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren defiantly stared her in the eyes.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"We need your help." Sophie's voice had taken a sad tone, and Wren noticed the redness of her eyes. She looked like she had been crying. "Marcel and his vampires are out of control, we need a way to fight them."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You could have just asked for my help." Wren's voice was solemn. "Making some deal behind my back with my coven was unnecessary. Contrary to our history, my mother doesn't make it a habit to have dealings with vampires anymore."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀A silence fell over them. Wren leaned against the stone wall, grimacing. It was cold and damp in here. Leaves were scattered about, stabbing into her bare legs. She regretted wearing a dress. A small scowl twisted at her mouth.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'll be back at sundown," Sophie said after a while of silence, "I have some stuff to take care of first."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀True to her word, Sophie was back later that night ━ but she didn't come back alone. There was a man with her, an air of elegance surrounding him like a dark cloud. He was beautiful, but he was dangerous.