Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Chapter 5

I screamed and howled, fought and struggled against the firm, broad hands that pinned me in place

I screamed and howled, fought and struggled against the firm, broad hands that pinned me in place. The speed at which Graysen ran forced currents of air to whip through my hair, snapping it like a pennant. The world gave way to nothing but snatches of blurred impressions. I was gone in a series of twists and turns, through hallways and open-spaced rooms, too fast to take any note...

Into a star-flecked night, the clattering sound of cobble...

Swallowed up by darkness...

Around and around and around as we climbed a spiral staircase, up, up, up.

Abruptly, we slammed to a halt. I was suddenly upright, back on my feet, swaying drunkenly with streaks of grays and blacks whirling around me. Graysen's hands were at my elbows, steadying my stance as my head slowly stopped spinning and a strange room came into focus.

I blinked rapidly, flinched, and shied away from the bright, harsh light flooding the space.

My father... My father...

I'd been stolen away before I could speak with him!

I hissed in rage at Graysen and tried to pull myself free. With this rope tied around my neck separating my connection to the wyrm, I had no superior strength, and it was a shock to discover just how feeble I'd become. My fight was pathetic, and it wasn't me who freed myself. Graysen stared at me with those dark fathomless eyes and let me go as he stepped back.

My father's here on the Crowther's estate...

I flew for the door—twisted the handle, only to find it locked—thumped my fists on it, kicked it, shunted my shoulder into unforgiving wood, and pounded it some more with my battered fists. Nothing... Nothing! A great wave rose up—a tsunami, black and muddied with hopelessness—and then crashed down and pummelled me into despair. I barely heard the desperate noises coming from me above the blood rushing in my ears and the pounding of my fists on wood.

I have to get out...get out...

Two large hands closed over my wrists. Warmth and a hard chest met my back. "Stop it. You're only hurting yourself."

It was only then that I realized my hands throbbed and ached, and my knuckles were rubbed raw of skin. But that pain was nothing compared to my heart.

And he was responsible!

I slammed my elbow back, meeting his gut. He grunted at the sharp contact, jerking back. His grip loosened on my wrists. I wrenched my hands free and spun around with uncontrolled movement, stumbled, and hit the door handle with my back. Hot pain sliced down my spine, setting it on fire. A startled cry left my lips.

Graysen reached for me and I slapped his hands away, darting past him.

There had to be another way out.