at his mercy | smut

spoilers | slowburn (again lol) | words: 2178

warnings: knife play, blood (only a little), mentions of death, intimidation (not sure it's a warning but just putting that out there).

You were there when Ivar killed that little boy when you were younger. Something changed in him, you were not sure if it made him more closed up or opened a new passion in his life, taking lives, killing. Seeing that moment in your life, the image of that little boy falling to the ground, it truly shook you in fear.

Though mother told you do not be afraid, but you were.

You were afraid of Ivar.

Determined not to have an incident happen to you, you began to train yourself, becoming the strong shield maiden you were today. No man or woman had the intentions of killing you now, you fought every battle as if it were your last, slaughtering every enemy that dare to come in your face.

Preparing for the great battle for the kingdom of Kattegat, you took it upon yourself to train in the forest, letting out cries of battle as you struck your inanimate target.

Becoming part of Ivars and King Haralds army was a decision you took time to make, as you were once loyal to Queen Lagertha, being one of her trusted shield maidens. But it was only a matter of time before the fear of defeat consumed you, you had your doubts about Lagertha's ruling, and whether or not she will be victorious in the end of this Great War.

You continued to strike your target, stabbing it with your sword and bashing it with your shield. Using different battling techniques to avoid being hit were your main focus, as the enemy would not notice the various moves you chose to employ.

The rustling of leaves diverted your attention behind you, raising your sword to the potential threat, glaring.

There stood Ivar, leaning against a tree, legs clad in his metal brace which so miraculously helped him walk. Relaxing, you stood tall, "Hello, Ivar," you acknowledged.

"Hello, (Y/N), how is your training going?" He said, his commanding voice becoming present.

You only smiled at him, "why so formal, Ivar? You lead one army and now you feel you should use that tone with me? Your childhood best friend?"

Ivar only smiled, holding onto his left leg-brace, making his way to stand in front of you, "I have to give the finest shield maiden in the army some authority, so she does not slack off, yes?"

Shrugging, you continued your training, feeling his eyes staring at you, from the back of your head down to the bottom of your spine, sending shivers down it as you straightened your back. Ivar was impressed with your fighting, knowing that you were capable enough to fight battles with no worries of your death.

Ivar remembered when you and him played through the streets of Kattegat, you both notorious for your pranks among people as she tugged you along with her. Time caught up to you both, Ivar now having the desires to be king and you desiring a simple life, to fight and then die in battle. You never knew why you and Ivar became so distant, but the connections to each other were surely mutual.

Ivar has grown into a man, his jaw becoming more prominent and his chest growing larger. You thought about how his eyes were so bright as a child, now possibly even brighter, you thought that the gods visited him in his sleep and placed the sky onto his pupils. Ivars eyes were the most captivating feature about him, even sharper than Ragnars.

Your mind drifted, losing your focus as you hit the back of the straw figure, but leaving your chest exposed for attack, the shield held at your side.