48~Sugar

"Scarlett, they're here!"

I take a steadying look in the mirror, barely recognizing my reflection. Straightened hair and simple makeup staring back, my mother's pearls wrapped around my neck. I flatten the neckline of my white knee length dress Ashton helped me pick out, simply because his ring is noticeable.

I look like an adult, I am an adult.

My hand reaches for the door, shaking slightly as I twist it open. A woman steps into our house and I'm left speechless. No one ever told me what to expect but it certainly wasn't a short, plump, blonde woman who instantly pulls me down for a hug.

"Hello, Sugar, my names Molly Sims. It's a pleasure to finally meet you." She coos in my ear.

She releases me before focusing on my siblings, all four lined up behind me. I dressed all three boys in khakis and button ups, figuring a nice, clean look would work in our favor. However, they got to choose their ties. Sage wore a black bow tie with white stars, Sterling wore a simple black tie along with Silver, except his is loosened.

"Hello, Sage." She pulls my brother into a hug, his entire frame hunching over. For a moment I'm afraid he's going to break she tugs on him so hard.

His body snaps into full size as she lets go of him. Her arms instantly wrap around the twins, "Sterling and Silver, you're both so handsome."

Sage sends me a panicked look, did we let the right woman in? Ms. Sims looks down at Saffron, who's hidden herself behind Silver, her white dress peaking out on the side. "Hi, Saffron."

My sister offers her a small wave before running to latch onto Sage's leg. We all just stare at the woman, unsure of what to say to after an introduction like that. Where's the clip board and the frown? The horrible attitude for even considering the thought of giving a teenager custody?

She chuckles, "I'm sure it's a bit of a surprise but I've spent the last two weeks reading all about you five. You're a rather impressive bunch."

I fidget uncomfortably at this, what exactly did she learn about us? Before I can ask her she claps her hands, "Please, show me around."

The kids file into the kitchen as I lead her to the basement, figuring the best place to start is the bottom. She walks around, scribbling a few notes down before moving along, doing this in every room. I don't get anxious until she gets to the third floor, where the bedrooms are.

We start in Saffron's room, the freshly painted blush walls bright against her canopied bed. Uncle John's birthday gift certainly worked in our favor. Ms. Sims studies the mural of a forest with fairies on the wall opposite her bed. "This is gorgeous, who painted it?"

"I did." I figured if I couldn't sleep I might as well do something productive. It's the first creative piece I've done in two years, looking at it now there's a few touch ups I need to make.

She hums, moving onto Silver's room, surprised to find a kangaroo with boxing gloves drawn on his chalkboard painted wall, another addition by Uncle John. His three other walls are olive green, the gray bedding slightly wrinkled. I try to subtly slide a spare lego behind his cherry red electric guitar, hoping she doesn't notice.

"Now, that, I can't take credit for." I offer as she sizes up the sketch.

She lets out a laugh that quickly turns into a gasp as she walks through the bathroom into Sterling's room, I can't help be agree. The worktable pushed against his own chalkboard wall covered in a few of his inventions, his acoustic guitar propped in a corner. His blue walls displaying hanged blueprints he's done, a few Uncle John's even used.