Face to Face

EXT. RYKER ASYLUM - ENTRANCE - LATER

Mason catches his breath, he sees the police tape surrounding the asylum. He heads to the front door that's already open.

INT. RYKER ASYLUM - CONTINUOUS

Mason takes out his colt and checks the cylinder. He starts stalking the hallways and takes it slow around every corner.

Mason hears the crackling of fire from somewhere, he follows the sound. He comes to a door that's partially open with an orange glow.

Mason wastes no time and kicks the door open. He sees HORACE ASHFORD standing before a fireplace, Mason points the gun at him but Horace doesn't look round.

Horace is gray, balding and overweight with black broad-rim glasses. He's shorter than Mason, wearing pin a striped shirt with corduroy trousers and suspenders.

MASON

Where's Faye?

HORACE

She's fine, I've given her something to sleep. We were waiting for you.

MASON

Tell me where she is and your death might be less.. drawn out.

Horace puts another log on the fire.

HORACE

I know exactly how you're looking at me right now.

(Beat)

Wide-eyed yet focused, wild with uncontrollable clarity.

MASON

You certainly made a name for yourself, the places I've been too.. Evil takes many forms.

HORACE

That's not even the half of it, The Roulette Killer has not been my only moniker.

MASON

The police are on their way. You're not just gonna hold her hostage and have me hand over the gun. They'll have this place surrounded in a few minutes.

HORACE

You haven't brought the police.

Horace looks Mason in the eyes.

HORACE (CONT'D)

You wouldn't have come all this way and killed all those people just to let me be taken away in handcuffs. You might've thought this was an altruistic venture, but it's nothing but bloodlust now.

MASON

I think you've missed a few too many birthdays for the apple to have not fallen too far from the tree. I'm nothing like you.

HORACE

Don't you remember your childhood fondly? I was around until you were 9. Surely you'd have some memory of me as your wholesome father.

MASON

There wasn't a lot to remember about you, barely said two words in the mornings. You were never around, even when you were. You sat in your chair a lot, reading. Locked yourself in your room when you were home. The only contact you had with me was when you used to drag me across the floor and lock me in the basement. Whenever I hadn't cleaned up after myself. There was this window in the basement that looked onto the lake over the horizon. It would be raining, I remember looking out of the window over the rain on the lake and imagining meeting someone that'd make days like this just a drop in the ocean. My life was nothing and then I met Gracie. I loved her before I even knew what love was. The day that she went missing I was still looking out of that window, wondering when she'd be back. There's days after the age of 15 when I'd wanna feel like a man, but I still feel like that boy staring at nothing, wishing for something to be there. And for my life to start. So when I found out you killed her, it was the first time where I could actually do something.. And not feel nothing.