46.) New Beginning

Henry somehow convinced me to let him sleep next to me tonight.

It's been 4 days since I've been back home and "on recovery". I've managed to speak some words to people. In total I've eaten one scoop of mashed potatoes and two slices of bread.

It's a start I guess.

I guess what convinced me was he said he would look after me and keep me warm. That always made me happy, whenever he said stuff like that.

I have to admit that I've felt twitchy and on edge ever since I woke up. It's just been getting worse, not better.

It was awkward at first. Henry getting into bed. But when he looked at me somehow all the awkwardness faded away.

My eyes swelled with tears as he pulled me into an embrace. My forehead rested on his shoulder as my tears absorbed into his shirt.

That night I actually slept, for the first time in a long time. Even if it was just a couple hours, I slept at least.

***

I ate a slice of toast for breakfast. Followed by 8 oz of water.

Daryl was taking me out for a walk. I didn't want to go, but I knew I had too.

"How you feelin'?" Daryl asked me. I shrugged, gulping as I looked up. "Look at me." He stopped walking. I stopped too. I looked at him. He looked at my eyes, and then picked up both my hands. He held my shaky fingers. He looked back at me, letting my hands drop by my sides. "We're gonna try somethin'."

He led me to the gates, where I backed up and shook my head. "I'm not going out there." I stated.

"We ain't goin' far. It'll be okay."

"Daryl-"

"Trust me Navy," he mumbled. I huffed as the guard pulled open the gate. Daryl grabbed my hand and when I wouldn't budge, he grunted and picked me up. I kicked and tried to wriggle but he had a strong grip. Once the gate was shut behind us he put me down. "It's okay," he told me. My chest and heart were hurting from my struggles to escape Daryl's grip. I placed a hand on my heart, taking a breath. "Sorry. Forgot." I rolled my eyes. Daryl smiled a little. "You'll be okay, come on."

I frowned, following him on the path into the woods. I was terrified, constantly looking over my shoulder. I could hear my heartbeat in my ears. "Saddiq said I should rest my heart um... maybe I shouldn't do anything too... uh... stressful... this?"

"Yer Fine," he mumbled. "I talked to Saddiq already."

"Daryl I don't want to do this."

"Tell me the truth," he stopped and turned towards me. We were in the middle of the woods. "If I handed you a bag of meth right now, told you to go ahead and try it, would you take it?"

"No," I said. Daryl raised an eyebrow. He reached into his back and pulled out the same bag of meth I originally stole. He handed it to me. I held it in my hands and looked at it.

"Go ahead and try it."

I looked up at Daryl, and then back down at the bag. It was tempting. But I knew it was a trap. "Aren't I supposed to be getting away from this?"

"You don't want it?" He asked.

"You're not supposed to give me this stuff."

"Answer my question. Do you want it?"

"...yes."

"I know. Give it back."

I couldn't. I just stared at the bag. I don't know what was going on.

"Navy," he mumbled. "Put the bag in my hand."

"Just take it Daryl." I hissed. Daryl sighed.

"Just do it Navy."

I huffed as I gently placed it in Daryl's hand. Daryl nodded and stuffed it back in his backpack.

"I know what's goin' on in yer' brain. You want to stop takin' it but yer' brain don't want you to stop."

"So what's the point?" I hissed.

"I'm gonna show you somethin'."

We continued walking. He seemed like he had this entire trip planned out. He knew where to go and kept looking in certain directions, as if he had memorized certain marks on trees that guide him where to go.

After a little while of traveling, we stopped in a clearing in the middle of the woods. There were rabbits and squirrels and snakes all around us. I kept looking around my feet in watch for a snake. Daryl looked at me. "Give me your hand."

I sighed, handing him my left hand.

He flipped it over so my palm was facing up. He grabbed a knife from his belt, putting the grip in my palm, closing my fingers around it. "Throw the knife and hit a squirrel, or a rabbit."

I sighed, taking my hand away as I adjusting the blade in my hand, holding onto the tip so it was ready to throw. I glanced over my shoulder, seeing a squirrel climbing up a tree. I took a breath and threw the knife, hitting it's tail. The squirrel was hanging from its tail, wriggling to try and get away. I sighed.

This is the thing I hate about hunting. If you hit the animal but don't kill it, then it feels pain.

Daryl approached the squirrel, leading me up to it. He grabbed his machete, handing it to me.

"What? I'm not killing it." I retorted.

"Yes you are. Kill it." Daryl ordered.

"No!"

"Stop bein' a damn liberal and kill it."

I huffed, taking the end of the machete and stabbing the squirrel's head. I sighed, feeling bad about myself as I handed the machete back to Daryl. "This is making everything worse," I mumbled as I began to walk away. But as I walked into the trees, I turned a corner and was met face to face with three walkers. I yelped, pushing them back as they both pushed me down and fell on top of me.

I had no weapons on me and I didn't see Daryl around. I looked back at the walkers that were placing their jaws on my skin and I realized what was happening.