7: The Learning Place

"Is that a problem?" Alexander asks. I could tell by the look in his eyes that he wasn't exactly happy with my reaction. "Not at all," I reply, taking my order from Josie once she released him from her vice-like grip. "In fact, please don't expect me to treat you like you're not annoying. I'm not afraid to disrespect you even if you have a so-called title."

With that, I turn back to Josie and quietly ask her for directions to the high school. It took her a moment to keep herself from laughing at my comment and the dumbfounded look on Alexander's face, but she managed to squeeze out a vague description. I quickly step out of the cafe, hoping to get ahead of the idiot before he recovers from shell shock.

Sooner than anticipated, he shot out the door only a few paces behind me and proceeded to catch up to me quickly. I didn't notice how tall he was before, but he was well over half a foot above me. "Please wait," he pleads. "I can explain the whole situation."

I ignore him, saying, "Might want to get your car to drive. I heard the school was a ways away." His pace slowed down, dragging him behind me until he stops completely. I don't turn around to face him, just continued on walking. "This isn't over!" I heard him shout at my back. I contemplate giving him my acknowledgment or whether it would just spur him on to continue bothering me. In the end I raise my hand, just to let him know I heard him loud and clear.

Moments later I see his car drive past me on the road, his reflection in the side-mirror. In seconds he was gone, but the overwhelming look of sadness and regret on his face stuck to my mind like glue. It made me unbearably uncomfortable knowing that someone managed to pull on my heartstrings like this, and in only minutes of knowing each other.

I hope I won't have to deal with him again. Otherwise, I'm not sure if I can be as steadfast against him.

I take a bite of the small pastry I bought and continue to devour the whole thing. The tea was just as good. I decide that after school, I'll visit again and ask about a job in town willing to employ me.

I quickly make my way to the school, seeing that the time was getting close to first bell. I had promised the headmistress that I would meet her by first period, so I'd hate to make a bad impression by being late.

The school gates appear in my line of vision as I approach the building. Overall, it was a standard type of school. There was multiple buildings on the good sized campus, one large building contributing to the academics and a mess hall while another was for the gym. Outside the gymnasium, there were a few fields for sports like football, soccer, and track and field. As I look around, I notice more cars heading through the open gates, some narrowly missing the kids walking to school.

There was a woman standing at the gate. She was in her forties with her graying hair built up into a tight bun on her head. Though her appearance would make people think she was overly strict, with her formal brown pantsuit and matching heels, she put on a large genuine smile for everyone who passed her and got a smile in return.

Her eyes light up as she spots me, her smile growing impossibly wider. Once we were within talking distance, she said, "Mr. Northern Nightfall, I presume? So nice to meet you, I'm Mrs. Lane, the headmistress of WVH. I believe we talked on the phone yesterday." She held out her hand and I took it in stride, giving it a firm shake.

"The pleasure is mine, Mrs. Lane. But please, call me North for short." I smile at her, jokingly adding on, "I know that it can be a little of a mouthful." She laughs heartily as she ushers me into the school building.

"Let's go to my office, hm? That way we can settle your schedule and some papers." I nod as we make our way down the hallway, Mrs. Lane noting classrooms as we pass them. Along the way I notice the students looking at us curiously, staring at me in particular. I avoid eye contact with everyone, trying not to show my unease and only grip the strap of my satchel tighter. I was all too relieved once we enter the office and shut the door behind us.