I Don't Understand (pt. 1)

A short story dedicated to Martin Luther King Jr.

    I was looking down, at this girl; her eyes, green as grass, hair, brown as dirt, and skin, was as black as one could be. My mother and father always said, "Stay away from them black folks; They bad news. If one ever gets near you, you tell us, ya hear? Then we'll get rid of 'em" They hated black people, even more so once that one guy, Martin Luther King, came 'round. But, standing there, looking down at this girl, not much younger than I, I couldn't understand it; How could this shy, scared, weak, injured girl...be so dangerous?
    I had seen her get pushed around; couple of white boys, live around the block from me, they hit her, kicked her, then left laughing. She hadn't done nothing wrong, so why'd they beat her?   
    I felt bad, so I reached out my hand, but then she flinched. A deep frown settled on my face, "Don't worry, I ain't gonna hurt ya none." I said softly, not wanting to scare her. She hesitated, just a second before grabbing me, but then after getting up she quickly pulled away. 'She's afraid of me. Can't say I blame her.' I thought to myself. "My name's Allen Crawling, What's your name?" I asked, I wanted to know this girl more, even if it'd get me into trouble.
She seemed to start shaking, "I ain't tellin' no white man my name, you'll get me and my family into trouble, just for touchin' your hand!" She said firmly, even if she looked like she'd drop any minute.
"No I won't," I said, "I just wanted to ask if you're okay? I saw what them boys did to ya, it wasn't right, you were just sitting there readin', then they come 'round, and start pounding you to the ground! It don't make no sense!" I was getting angrier at them, just at the thought of what I saw. That's when I realized, they kicked her book away somewhere. So I got down on my knees and looked around, then saw it, under a bush, few feet away. I crawled over to it, and reached under, pulling it out, and looked at it; Just a bit of dirt on the cover, not too much damage to it.
"Here you are, oh wait!" I said quickly, and took it back, "There's some dirt on it! Gimme a sec, I'll have it cleaned off in no time!" I spouted joyfully, whipping it off with my shirt. "Alright, now here you are!" I reached the book over, allowing her to grab it from my hands. And she did just that, rather slowly if I might add. 'Still scared of me, huh?' I thought.
"Lillian Dutania." She said after a minute. I tilted my head in confusion, a small 'Hm?' coming through, "You asked my name, It's Lilian Dutania." She said looking away from me, in a stubborn manner. I chuckled lightly, this girl sure was stubborn. "And what're you laughing at?" She shouted at me, she was definitely irritated at this point.
"Oh it's nothing much, you just seem pretty stubborn, especially for someone who just got beat down." I said laughing a bit.
"And what's it to you? You ain't used to it the way I am! The way ALL black people are!" She yelled at me.
"Yes, so I've come to notice. But I do wish to change that," I told her earnestly, "My parents have told me that ALL black people are only to be slaves, to serve us white people, but if that phrase is true, then why call them both the same word; 'People', something that, with clear definition, means 'Human', meaning that they are still human." I told her, all the feelings I'd kept in, since the thought came, spouting from my lips. When I looked to her, I saw a look, one I  didn't know anyone could show; Admiration and Inspiration.
"You truly are an odd man, ain't you?" She said, shaking her head, a soft smile gracing her features.
"Probably." I told her vaguely, laughing as I said it. And, oddly enough, she did as well. "So, Lillian, let's get to know each other a bit more," I told her and sat on the bench, patting the seat next to me, so she sat down, nodding her head, "What is your favorite color?" I asked starting it off.
And so it went on; asking and answering everything, we could possibly think of, colors, foods, families, thoughts, and so much more. And all of that, without a single thought of the colors of our skin, or what people would think of if they'd seen the both of us together, talking like People. Not like slave and master, not like man to animal, not like Black and White, but like two Human Beings, just getting to know one another.
Later on, just as the sun was setting, we said our goodbyes, planning to meet the following weekend. And that's how it went, for 7 months we met; Saturdays and Sundays from Noon till just before the sunset.  It was only 3 months in, when I had realized something that would change my life; I was in love with this woman. Weather it was for better or worse, I stuck with it, telling her at about 6 months, where she admitted the same. We became lovers, from that day on.
After two years, she finally turned 18, I proposed. I was definitely nervous, but the quick answer of 'Yes!' made all that disappear. Not long after, I went to her home with her, I was going to meet her family for the first time. I was scared to say the least, something I'd admitted to her out loud, "I don't think I can do this Lillian." I told her, just as we touched her front porch.
"You have to Allen. You're the one who said you wanted their blessing, to do that you need to meet them." She said, like it was the most obvious thing on the planet.
"Lillian, I love you with all my heart, all thoughts of color are gone,from both of us. But just a reminder, I am a white man, and you a black woman. I know my parents won't approve, but what about yours? You love them to death, but what if they don't want you anymore because of me? I couldn't live with myself, if I tore you all apart." I told her all my thoughts and feelings right then, and there.
"I know that love, but I know that my family, even if they don't like it, they love me enough to hear me out. I'll tell them everything. Besides, only one you really gotta worry 'bout is my daddy. And my mama, being who she is and all, will keep him in check for the meantime that it'll take to explain. Alright?" She told me
"I guess so." I sighed defeated, she was right. Then again, she's always right.
And that's how everything started.

Please tell me if you want me to continue this into parts throughout this book

Chapter Question: What is your favorite anime?
My Answer: Shounen Maid