Chapter 6 - Denial

Chapter 6 - Denial

"Because I love you. I always have, and I always will"

"Don't say that Arnav, please don't say that" she pleaded.

"But it's the truth Khushi. I was running from the truth all those years back, but I've suffered and regretted and now I'm a changed man. Don't make the same mistake I did Khushi, don't run away from the truth" he said looking deep into her eyes.

"Who the hell do you think you are Arnav?? What, you think you can come back into my life all of a sudden and tell me what to do? You suddenly think you know the difference between right and wrong?" she said angrily, hot tears spilling down her face. " I've loved you since I was a little girl; do you know what it feels like, getting rejected like that?? At the age of 17 Arnav, I was only 17! And you played around with my emotions like I was some toy. Who am I kidding, it was my entire fault! I was like some sort of lovesick puppy, agreeing to whatever you wanted, thinking of you as some sort of God when in reality, you didn't give two hoots about me!!" she yelled.

"Khushi...just listen to me" he said trying to grab her, as she headed back to the car.

She sat inside, ignoring everything he said and politely asked him to drive her back home...and he did. She got out of the car once they arrived in front of her building and headed towards the door, but Arnav was faster. He grabbed her hand and pulled her back towards him.

"Khushi, don't push me away" he said.

"Don't you dare touch me Arnav. I've changed; I'm not that same teenage girl who will pay heed to whatever you say. And I think you're forgetting that YOU pushed me away! YOU are the one who rejected me, who didn't want me! So what the hell changed? Why, after 4 long years have you decided to tell me all of this?! Why now, huh?" she said looking at him, her blood boiling.

"Khushi, would you just listen to me?! I wanted to tell you, I was going to tell you everything! But when I came back outside that night, you were gone. And then a month later, I realized that I truly love you, and I wanted to be with you. I was going to tell you all of that on our graduation day, but I found out that you were long gone, you left with your Aunt. Look, I know that I was stupid, and I know that I don't deserve your forgiveness, but at least give me a chance to make it up to you! Let me show you that I can make you happy, that I can love you. I'm not saying that you should run into my arms, and we'll get married, but I want a second chance! I deserve it after all these years"

"Oh wow, so you were going to tell me everything! Then why the hell didn't you contact me? I know you have enough money to trace me, to find me! You think I haven't seen you on the front cover of newspapers?? You think I didn't see you with all those women? You think I don't know that you've visited Canada many times on business trips?!

"Khushi I tr-"

"You could have called!" she said pushing him. "You could have emailed!" she said pushing him again. "You could have written a freaking letter for all I care!" she said pushing him one last time before he captured her arms, pinned them on either side of her and pushed her against his car.

They looked into each other's eyes, both seeking out to find answers, to find the truth hidden behind everything.

He leaned in closer; she felt his hot breath fan over her face as their noses touched. His hands came up to caress her cheeks, and then cup them, their eyes never leaving one another.

"I'm sorry, I was just scared, so scared. I really missed you so much" Arnav said brokenly.

Khushi felt her own hands slide up his chest and wrap around his neck as she closed her eyes, her brain suddenly foggy. She entwined her fingers in his hair as he kissed her cheek.

"Don't ever leave me Khushi" he said in between kisses. His lips suddenly approached her own. As their lips were inches away from each other, he whispered "I love you Khushi"

"I love you Khushi, and that's never going to change" said NK

As he was just about to kiss her, she pushed him so hard, he stumbled backwards. "Khushi?!" he said confused. 'What happened?"

"Khushi!!!" he yelled again, but she was gone. He got into his car, and smiled a little bit. She definitely still loved him, now there was no doubt about it.

Khushi slammed her apartment door, and slouched to the floor sobbing. What the hell had she just done! How could she do that to herself...to NK?? How could she let that happen!! Had she no sense of pride, or self-respect? Did she still have feelings for Arnav? No, she would NOT let that happen! 'Arnav is my past, NK is my present and hopefully future' she cried to herself. She suddenly could not take it anymore, all the thoughts running through her head, her memories flashing in front of her.

"It's your parents'they were in an accident" Bua ji told her.

"I wanted to tell you, I was going to tell you everything! But when I came back outside that night, you were gone. And then a month later, I realized that I truly love you, and I want to be with you." said Arnav.

"And as long as you don't leave my side, I'm totally happy" NK said looking at her.

"You know Khushi, at first I thought that all of this was some stupid crush that we had, but as the years passed, I never once forgot about you." Arnav whispered.

"Look, I never asked if you loved me back, did I? All I said was that I love you. Sometimes we love and don't get it in return, but that's just how it is, right?" said NK with a small smile.

"Titaliya'you need to come home immediately" Bua Ji said in a grave voice.

"Because I love you. I always have, and I always will"

"I love you Khushi, and that's never going to change"

"LEAVE ME ALONE!!! Please'" she screamed clutching her head, and after hours of crying, she fell asleep on the ground against her door.

---

The next morning, Khushi awoke to her alarm at 6:00 AM. She had severe neck and back pain from the position she had fallen asleep in last night and her eyes were burning due to all the crying. She had a meeting with some clients in an hour, so she quickly showered, put on a cream coloured blouse, a pencil skirt and a blazer on top. She let her hair out, to dry on its own, giving it a soft wavy look. She never needed much make-up because she had flawless skin, but today she used more concealer than usual, covering her puffy eyes and dark circles. She put on some mascara and light eyeliner, minimal blush and her favourite pink lip gloss.

She texted NK good morning, and asked him to meet her after work. She had decided to tell him everything today - about Arnav, and even about last night. Whether he decided to forgive her or not, was completely up to him. Of course, she wanted him to forgive her, but she knew that she didn't deserve it. She would let fate play out on it's own from now on.