Chapter 24

"Mable? Are you okay?" 

I opened my eyes, the brightness pouring through the window with so much intensity. I managed to block out the sun with my hand but my body felt like it weighed ten thousand pounds. 

I felt a gentle hand, that was still massive, on my back, lifting me up gently into a sitting position. A cup of another bright green liquid was brought before me, the owner of the hand brought it to my mouth as I hesitantly drank it. 

Tastes like mistakes. 

I tried to push his arm away, having enough of the strange liquid. 

"Finish it," he commanded, "You'll heal faster." 

I grunted, taking  a deep breath through my nose and chugging the rest of it. 

"Good girl." He took the cup away, putting on the nightstand. The bed dipped as he sat down, becoming relatively eye level with me. "How are you feeling?" 

I looked at Caleb curiously, he seemed 20 times nicer than usual and 100 times more human. 

"How are you feeling?" I tilted my head, trying to examine him closely. "You seem different." 

He smiled, kinda. 

The edges of his mouth was tilted upwards, but his eyes were still lifeless. 

"I'm glad," He spoke, reaching out and cupping my check gently. "You'll be okay now." 

I awkwardly smiled, hoping he'd give me a little personal space but I wasn't about to tell him off. 

"Thanks." I felt my body get lighter, and my vision clear enough to see Caleb and all his features. "What was that?"

"A tonic." He answered, not continuing this already suspicious explanation. 

"Okay?" I kept staring at him, waiting for him to say anything else.

"It'll help you get better," he started getting up, "Now get some rest, you're body is still trying to fully recover your black wolf blood." 

I frowned, feeling something off about this whole thing. Something deep down in my gut told me that I'll never be a black wolf, or at least a 'pure blood.' 

And I think Caleb knows this.

But at least he's trying. 

I looked at my hands, seeing light scars still on my wrists from the silver. It was strange, if I was a regular wolf the amount of silver in the cuffs would have burned right through my flesh and bones. 

My hair fell into my lap, letting me see the midnight black locks. But something caught my eye upon closer inspection. 

A light brown strand. 

I grabbed my hair, accidentally yanking it and making myself wince but I did not stop, searching through my own hair to find that single brown strand that seemed like the end of the world to me.

But in that search I found another, and another, and more and more until I was about to rip my hair out.

After Clint's medicine my hair almost turned completely black but I guess the medicine wasn't that effective. 

There is no way Caleb did not notice this full head of mixed hair but then why am I still invited to the island? I heard from the other testors that only a few black wolves actually get to go to the island, the rest just have to live on their own or form new packs with land rewarded by the council for surviving. 

Black wolves are just natural born leaders, so I guess that's why only a few wolves come to the island. 

From what I've seen it was just a couple of wolves who share mutual relationships, not a sort of underling-leader relationship.

Everyone just seems to respect Caleb, to a certain extent. 

There were still unfinished buildings and uneven paths everywhere. Even Caleb's house had a few crooked floorboards and uneven door frames that doesn't really fit the doors. I'm no contractor but I think doors should fit into their frames. 

At least the door in my room fits, but it doesn't seem to lock. 

Curious, I got up and reached out to lock it but as soon as I grabbed the handle the door was pushed open, almost running right into my face. Caleb froze in the doorway, his eyes showed no emotion but he seemed just a little surprised that I was just there. 

"I thought I told you to rest?" He playfully asked. Well I think he asked playfully. His voice was so monotone he made Clint sound alive. "Did you need something?" 

"N-no." I froze as well, staring up at him with wide eyes. Well staring more at his hair. His luscious head of midnight black locks that glistened in the afternoon light. To be honest, I felt jealous. "I-I was just seeing if my door can lock." 

Oh wait. 

That sounds weird. 

He raised his brow, "I can tell you that your door does lock." He crosses his arms, staring down at me as his lips slowly turned upwards. "Anyways, I was coming up here to check on you. There is some dinner downstairs if you're hungry." 

I nodded, giving him a small smile as he turned around and left.

I guess I'm just staying with him for now.