Chapter 96

Monday morning, my alarm goes off earlier than Fred's. While Fred lets out a groan, I snap my fingers to stop the alarm from ringing and waking up the whole house. Fred buries his head deeper in the pillow and I step out of bed.

Nerves begin to pool in my stomach while I grab some clothes out of the closet. I asked Arthur yesterday what I had to wear as his assistant and he gave me the Ministry guide-lines. After a quick shower and changing into the black pencil skirt with a dark-blue blouse above it, I head back to the bedroom to braid my hair.

"Why did you even take this job?" I hear Fred ask, "Have you seen what time it is?"

Looking in the mirror at the bed, I see Fred's red hair stick out above the blanket. With a smile, I answer: "I would like to do something useful again and this job didn't seem very dangerous to me."

Fred turns his head to look at me and he sighs: "That's true. Nothing dangerous about being the assistant of the head of the Office for the Detection and Confiscation of Counterfeit Defensive Spells and Protective Objects – and I know Dad will make sure you won't get in any trouble."

Standing up from the stool in front of the small mirror, I walk to the bed with a smile. After pressing a kiss on Fred's lips, I remark: "Indeed. Good luck at work.

Fred hums and has fallen back asleep when I look back at him from the doorway. Quickly, I snatch my shoulder bag (a gift from Fleur as a thank-you for helping her with the wedding) from the chair in the corner and quietly close the door behind me. Making sure I don't wake up anyone else in the house, I head downstairs for breakfast.

"Good morning, Elena," Molly greets when I enter the kitchen. Molly was proud when Arthur told her about my new job and assured me I was a perfect fit. She smiles at me and places a cup of tea before me when I sit down opposite of Arthur. The man shoves a notebook and a Ministry-ID card over the table in my direction. When I open the notebook, I notice it is Arthur's agenda. While I eat my breakfast, I flip through the agenda to see what is planned for today and the rest of the week.

"I am afraid you won't have a desk yet but I will make sure you will have one before the end of the week," Arthur says. He stands up and sends me a smile. I smile back at him and place the agenda and the ID in my bed. "That won't be a problem, I will find a spot to work from."

Molly hands us both a small package with food for the day and presses a kiss on Arthur's cheek. With a proud smile, she wishes me a good first day of work. I thank her before grabbing my coat and following Arthur outside.

Once outside, Arthur holds out his arm for me to take and says: "Let's go to work, shall we?"

Arthur apparates us away and when I open my eyes, we are standing in the entrance hall of the Ministry. The older wizard begins to walk through the crowd of people and I quickly follow him. We walk through the hall to a long queue of people. While Artur sighs when he sees the queue, I look around the hall.

We have almost reached the end of the queue when I hear a voice call out: "Arthur Weasley, would you please come with us?"

Two guards in black clothing are heading in our direction and stop in front of us. I hear Arthur mutter something under his breath before he nods. The two guards look at me before eying Arthur and announcing: "You have been randomly selected for a security check."

Security check? I wonder what that is supposed to mean, while Arthur and I follow the two guards. The men lead us to a completely different queue where at the end, I see an older wizard in black clothing sitting behind a desk. When we arrive at the desk, he gestures to the desk and orders: "Place all your belongings you currently have on you – this includes your wand – on this table."