Chapter 21

It was interesting seeing the world through another's eyes. Kitaya had learned more about Aldeheid in the two days she'd spent on his shoulders than in the two hundred plus years they'd lived together. While she wasn't privy to what went on the depths of his mind, she did often get subtle emotional cues that manifested themselves as various sensations.

His sadness, like icy pins pricking at her skin, she'd felt while they were playing a game of Tactica with Lady Hiroh. His happiness, like morning sunshine, she'd felt when Leandyr told him his swordplay was improving. A flash of angry heat immediately followed it -- akin to stepping barefooted on hot stone – when the Swordmaster told him he still had all the grace and style of a drunken ogre.

He was a daydreamer who got lost in his own head more often than not. Too many times Kitaya had caught him staring off into the distance for extended periods of time. She wondered what kept his mind constantly occupied. Worry? Fear?

At least they'd adjusted better to the bond in their time since the ceremony. Aldeheid wasn't getting sick or dizzy anymore, and they could talk to each other without being plagued by crippling headaches.

Everything she'd been told about the bond had been true. She felt irrevocably tied to Aldeheid in some way. There was also a sense of oneness whenever they were together as magician and cape. Like they were two sides of the same coin.

Together, they sat atop Bellyn, just outside the eastern gate. From there, they had a spectacular view of the savanna. The setting sun had the landscape ablaze in orange-yellow light. Nylarah had asked for them to visit her before their travels, but an hour and several messengers later she'd yet to emerge from the temple.

They would be leaving Kon the following morning to search for Mellidius. They didn't have much leads to go on, except what Nylarah had told them. So they'd be heading east, towards the outskirts of the backlands. They only had three weeks to follow up on their leads, then they'd have to return to Kon for the summit.

"Kitten?" Aldeheid's voice was quiet and a little raspy, which – from what she'd learnt – meant he had something grave on his mind.

Kitaya knew it would be a useless endeavour to ask what was troubling him. "Hm?"

"Is everything alright? You're being very quiet."

"Just enjoying the view. And you're being quiet yourself."

"I was just thinking... Do you believe it's selfish that we're leaving everyone to go look for Mellidius?"

"No." A heaviness fell over her like a wet blanket. She wasn't sure what emotion to associate with this sensation. Worry?

He curled a blade of grass around his finger "I don't think it's fair to drag you into my selfish endeavours. You're a valuable member of the cause. You should stay here to help in whatever way you can, and I'll go."

"I'm only going to say this once, angel eyes, so listen carefully. No one –not even the people who may dislike me – has the gall to question my commitment to this cause. Furthermore..." She paused for a moment, and the next words she spoke made her blood bitter. "As much as Mellidius infuriates me, as much as I want to sock his smug face and beat him senseless for abandoning everyone, he would make and invaluable addition to our front."

"I see. Thank you, kitten." At his words the heavy sensation lifted.

"Why?"

"Well, you always know what to say. To ease my mind."

"Am I interrupting something?"

The world went sideways as Aldeheid startled and fell sideways in the grass. Nylarah's bare feet appeared before his eyes a moment later, her gold anklet glinting in the light.

The Wielder and the SourceOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara