IV

Teddy ascended the staircase leading off the living room to the upper-level, where she found a bedroom and a small bathroom. Upstairs, the ceilings were slanted and the floors creaked below her feet. Like the rest of the house, save the kitchen, the bedroom was filled with stacks of books and newspapers, though less densely than the living room. In the bedroom, Teddy was grateful to see a clear, wide path through the room, and she could see most of the walls. There were two twin beds in the room. Atop one of the beds, furthest from the doorway, sat her duffle bag.

Feeling very sleepy from the strange events of the day, Teddy sifted through her duffle bag to find her pajamas. She dressed for bed, found her toothbrush and made her way to the little bathroom.

She brushed her teeth at the pink porcelain sink. As she brushed, she took inventory of her day. Had it really been the same day that her dad had dropped her off at Grandma's house? She couldn't believe it. She was already feeling attached to Grandma Rose and Mr. Poole. How funny it was now that she had been so afraid to meet her great-grandmother just that morning. But of course, there were some strange happenings that she couldn't shake. Impossible things.

Her eyes wandered around the little room, searching for something else to attract her attention. Still brushing her teeth, her mouth growing foamy around her lips, she spotted an interesting little crocheted sign hanging from the toilet paper holder.

Curious, Teddy spat toothpaste into the sink, rinsed her toothbrush, then crawled to her knees to inspect the little sign. Decorated with hearts and flowers, the sign read:

If You Sprinkle When You Tinkle,

Please Be a Sweetie,

And Wipe the Seatie

A smile spread on her face. The third rule! The forgotten third rule of Grandma's house. Teddy felt laughter in her throat, a warmth in her chest.

She returned to the bedroom, still smiling, got under the covers, and fell asleep the way only an exhausted child could. She had forgotten all about spiders and divorce and mind-reading parrots.