Chapter 5

It's been 'bout a week since Carrie's funeral, and today is the that I decide to go back to school.

Ma's not been doin' real well. I hardly ever see her smile anymore. And she still acts like Carrie isn't gone. And I constantly have to remind her. When I do remind her she don't say nothin', but she do get a real sad look on her face. Then she finds some other thing to busy herself.

When I told Ma and Pa that I'm goin' back to school Pa was so proud of me. Ma gave me a very small, weak, smile, but that was 'bout all.

So now here I am walking the dirt road. I have to stop by the mercantile to get a new slate pencil, since I did lose my old one.

As I'm 'bout to walk up the my foot get caught underneath one of the board. I stumble backwards and land on the road, gettin' my dress all dirty.

I quickly stand up dustin' myself off and see that my elbow is scraped. I bend over and grab my lunch pail and school book before turning to head inside. I make to the top of the steps successfully this time.

"Are you okay, Charlotte?" Comes a voice which I sorta recognize, but I can't quite put my finger on who it is.

I turn and am met with the sight of the same boy from beside the school house. Arron is standin' a worried look over his features.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks, though!" I reply, and he look slightly less worried than before.

"Your elbows bleedin'." He points out as he steps closer to me, from his spot beside the building.

I do wonder why he's off 'side the store, instead of on his way to school. But instead of askin', I lift up my elbow and look at it 'gain before shruggin my shoulders.

"It's just a scratch. I'll clean it up inside the mercantile." I tell him.

"Oh... Okay." Arron kicks some dirt and turns to go back beside the buildin'.

"Arron, shouldn't you be headin' to school?" I can't help my curiosity as I ask.

He shrugs his shoulder and points to my elbow 'gain, "You should really go clean that up."

I give him a confused look then sigh in defeat, and I go inside. Mr. Edwards kindly greets me as I step inside, before he notices my scrape.

"We aught to get that cleaned up, shouldn't we?" His old, gravely, voice, states.

I give him a thankful smile and nod and he leads me to a cabinet behind the counter. He pulls out a small first aid kit. He takes out a bottle of some kinda medicine and pours a little on my elbow. I don't know what it is but it bubbles for a few seconds and then Mr. Edwards puts a band-aid on.

I thank him, then ask him if he does have any slate pencils. He goes to the other side of the store before returnin' and handin' me one. I give him my penny in return, then head back outside.

As I reach the bottom of the steps, thankfully without trippin' this time, I can't help but peak 'round the corner of the buildin'. I see Arron sittin' down with a deck of cards.

I timidly make my way over to him and cough to get his attention. He jumps is surprise before his head snaps in my direction.

His eyes narrow at me, "What?"

I stand there for a second, not really havin' thought this through. I don't know what I was plannin' on sayin'. But, my thoughts are interrupted.

He speaks up 'gain, "I thought you were goin' to school."

"Well, I could say the same 'bout you!" I'm finally able to make words come outta my mouth.

"Yeah? Well, I'm not!" He raises his voice louder than before.

"Ya need to be!" I, also, raise my voice.

"I don't wanna be!" Arron yells at me.

I let out an exaggerated sigh. Clearly he's not gonna go. But, I can't just leave him, here.

"Well, if you're not goin', neither am I!" I state in a tone that leaves no room for argument.

He runs his hands over his dirt, smeared, face and groan. I sit down 'side him and place my lunch pail beside me He sits like that for a while before he speaks up.

"Ya know your stubborn?" He does asks, though I know it wasn't really a question.

I allow a feathery laugh to escape my lips and he grins playfully.

It feel so great to be able to laugh. It seems as if it's been years since the last time I did. It is as if I've been drownin' and I can finally breath again. I feel slightly lighter as the heavy burden on my back heavy lessons.

He picks up his deck of cards from in fronta him and looks up at me

"Do ya know how to play, Slap Jack?" Arron asks me.

"Of course! It's one of my favorites!" I answer and he begins shufflin' the deck.

He splits the deck as evenly as he can and we begin playin'. The first few times I win, but then he stars gettin' better, and I have to say, he does get real good, too! But, I'm real good, too.

After we've been playin' for a while I do get hungry. I remember the last time I had lunch with Arron, and well, I didn't. He'd gotten all upset and ran off, so I didn't get to eat.

He seems to know that I'm gettin' hungry because he says, "If ya wanna eat ya can.... But I still ain't gonna take any."

"And I still ain't gonna eat in fronta you." I do remark.

"Fine."

"Fine."

I deal another card Arron slaps it real fast. We keep playing 'til it is time to go home. School, for the other kids at least, was over and so was our card game.

I wave goodbye and we do part ways. And as I'm walkin' away I already know that tommorow I'll be takin' the real long way to school. 'Cause if Arron ain't gonna go, then neither am I.